Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How-do to all:

Just suppose that you've found your sweet-spot for brace height, and you make a new string, just for that specific length. Maybe make it a wee bit shorter, to allow for stretch. (I'm speaking of the B-50 or B-500 Dacron, here.)

Is there a general consensus as to the number of twists a Dacron string should have? Needs to have? Is it okay to shoot a Dacron string with no twists?

And with a note of mirth and jest, is "Consensus" even possible with Archery? Yes? No, that cannot be! No? Yes, that cannot be! :)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
You want a minimum of 10 twists in a string to prevent abrasion of the strands and to keep dirt & debris out and to even the tension on the strands.

·
recurve archer
475 Posts
Agree with Floxter. Minimum of 10. I believe that Hoyt or somebody else says 20-40 twists. Have heard others say as much as 1 to 2 twists per inch of string. Personally, I strive to end up at about 30 twists no matter if it's B50 or D97.

-mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey gents:

on the premise that twists absorb shock and therefore reduce energy into the arrow directly, i shoot two long bows with no twists (fast flight) as they are set to the correct brace for both bows. haven't had any problems.

have had problems with weather changing my brace height in flemmish twisted strings so i decided to move away from many twists.

was told that with no twists the string would catch air, be noisy etc. doesn't seem to prove correct for me at least.

just my thoughts. may not work for everyone.

gr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts