Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this video with a thank you to Dewayne Martin. His video inspired me to go back in time and do "what works best for me", not necessarily whats "right for all". I messed around with a high anchor last year, after seeing pictures of John Wert. The high anchor felt funny, but most off all I couldn't feel my back tension, and if I tried to pull through, it messed up my vision as the skin by my eye got pulled. I abandoned that method in search of better accuracy with proper back tension and pull through. Fast forward to Dewayne's recent video and you will notice he has a static release or dead release as its often called. Dewayne is one of if not the best trad recurve 3D shooter currently competing. He admits to never having been coached, but you cannot argue with his success. I've tried a lot of things and some things work, some don't. If you take anything away from this video, I hope its that there might be a right and wrong way to do things, but there isn't a one size fits all approach. Try different things and figure out what works best for "You". I'm not saying this high anchor is easy, but its easier in that your gaps are much smaller and your point will almost always be on the target depending on the size of the animal and distance. So in closing, give the high anchor a try, you might like it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Man I absolutely agree, watching that video gave me some great reinforcement. I was struggling with consistency, trying to get that expansive release I see in some archers. Man I looked good but I was constantly throwing left or right! I've shot a high anchor for over a year and I knew what was causing those errors but it was just recently during a range session when I said, "what the heck" and tried a pretty much dead hand release that the light kicked on. I've still got back tension and my hand does move back some but if I miss now it tends to be up or down, not right or left. Eliminated a good portion of my misses in one fell swoop. 'Preciate it!....

·
Registered
657 Posts
I always enjoy watching great shooters shoot. I really enjoyed Dwaynes video showing his high anchor and dead release. Hopefully he will get bored again and do more videos of his shooting form :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
After I watched that video I was thinking DANG...that don't Look right and to be honest I know I don't always pull my hand off my face like you supposed to...not that it's intentional but just a reaction to back tension...anyhow good bad or ugly it works for me..I seem to be able to get by with a dead release...at least on 3-D.

Dewayne

·
Registered
798 Posts
After I watched that video I was thinking DANG...that don't Look right and to be honest I know I don't always pull my hand off my face like you supposed to...not that it's intentional but just a reaction to back tension...anyhow good bad or ugly it works for me..I seem to be able to get by with a dead release...at least on 3-D.

Dewayne
I don't know how anybody shoots anything other than a dead hand release. I understand the concept, that a dead hand supposedly does not get out of the way of the string and that a deep hook has relaxed hand muscles, but mercy, I could never get rid of a string that way, not to mention never get it close enough to my face to look down the arrow. But that's just me and my opinion

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good shooting
Thanks Jp. I'm still more accurate my other way of shooting, but with the small gaps and decent grouping after such a short time is promising. To be fair this high anchor isn't brand new to me, but the idea that it's ok to veer from the norm is. I'm going to pursue this further and see where it takes me. Right now I'm (1) arrow diameter low at 15, half that at 20, right under it at 25, half a shaft at 30. Much better then 10" at 15, 8 at 20, 5 at 25, right under at 30.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.