Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is one that is easy and great to eat. you can use any kind of fish. fillet the fish and remove any bones and cut into chunks, then use a food processor to start a paste. add the other ingredients and finish the paste, reserving the green beans. blend them in after in a bowl.

Ingredients:

8 oz. fish paste (I use store-bought fish paste)
1/2 egg (beaten)
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (Mae Ploy brand or Maesri brand)
1/2 cup fresh green beans (thinly sliced crosswise)
5 ****** lime leaves (cut into fine thin strips)

Method

Heat up a pot of oil. Wet your hands and pick up the fish paste (about the size of a ping pong ball). Use your fingers and palms to flatten it and make it into a patty. Drop it into the cooking oil and fry till golden brown. Repeat the same for the rest of the fish paste. Alternatively, you can prepare all the fish paste first and then deep fry all of them at once.

Serve the fish cakes hot with Thai sweet chili sauce and sliced fresh cucumber.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Nice one Larry .... we're saving this one for the weekend ... we've got friends coming over and this dish should go down a treat .... thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
phil, the thai red curry is pretty spicy. you may need to moderate that a bit? the cucumber takes the heat away a bit.
heres a lao fish salad recipe. we eat it with rice. you could add a few leaves of lettuce if you want. this is the way we eat it.

12 ounces skinless boneless red snapper (minced) or 12 ounces yellowtail red snapper (minced) or 12 ounces other white fleshed fish (minced)

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, more as needed

1 tablespoon fish sauce, more as needed

1 tablespoon toasted rice powder (available in Asian food markets)

3/4 cup green beans, thinly sliced crosswise

1 red chili, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass

2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

8 stems cilantro, half the leaves chopped and half left whole

8 atems mint, half the leaves chopped and half left whole
scallion, green tops only, sliced

sliced cucumber, watercress, and additional cilantro, mint and green beans, for serving

1 In a small bowl, combine fish, lime juice and fish sauce. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. the fish sauce and lime juice will "cook" the fish. when it's solid white in color it's fine.

2 If necessary, drain fish. In a mixing bowl, combine fish mixture, rice powder, sliced green beans, chili, lemon grass, sliced garlic, minced garlic, cilantro, mint and scallion. Toss to mix well.

3 To serve, place fish salad in a serving bowl. Serve with cucumber, watercress and additional cilantro, mint and green beans offered separately.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Larry ... can I ask you about Fish sauce?. It seems to be quite an important ingredient in Asian cooking. What should I be looking for when buying some?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the best three are, phu quoc, red boat and squid brands. make sure the color is a golden amber and that there is no salt in the bottom of the bottle.
when used in cooking the heat makes the odor go away. used cold mixed with lime juice it has no bad odor. go to a BUSY vietnamese market to buy supplies. they will have fresh fish paste there also along with all the vegetables. get the fresh ****** lime leaves if you can!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jons, we use sauerkraut in khmer cooking all the time if we don't have the homemade pickle we normally use. we sour yu choy mainly along with daikon radish.
heres a recipe that will give you a whole different flavor of sauerkraut. it's really good!! and the ingredients are available in any supermarket i have ever been in.

Ingredients

For the Pork Chops:
4 thick cut (1 inch) porkchops
¼ cup Lawrys Thai Ginger Marinade
¼ cup Honey
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
Oil to brown chops

For the Sauerkraut Topping:
1 16oz.-bag Boars Head Sauerkraut
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons, rounded, dark brown sugar
Oil to sauté onion

Instructions

Prepare the Sauerkraut Topping:
Sautè onion in oil in heavy skillet until caramelized; stir in sauerkraut, soy sauce, and brown sugar; continue to cook about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Preheat Oven to 350◦
Prepare the Chops:
Combine the Thai marinade, honey, salt and pepper; pour into plastic bag and add chops to coat. Remove chops. Add 1-2 tblsp. of the remaining mixture to sauerkraut topping.
Brown chops in oil in heavy, oven-proof skillet, about 4-5 min. ea. side.
Divide sauerkraut evenly and pack on top each chop.
Transfer skillet to pre-heated oven; Cook, uncovered, 25 minutes (or until cooked).
Remove from oven, cover, and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Larry ...
just to let you know ... the fish cakes were sensational. My friends and my wife absolutley loved them ... I even managed to get some red curry paste.

A huge thank you sir

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.