Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zulu sent me two sets of test data for his Pinnacle II riser with 40 pound long Winex limb. The first set is limbs bolts in, backed off by 1/2 turn, the other is limb bolts out backed off by 1/2 turn. Zulu points out that the Pinnacle II has only 3 turns of adjustment, so this test covers 2 turns.

I will post the main panel for limb bolts in. Zulu provided chrono data for this configuration. I will post comparison charts between the two configurations so that you can see how the bow changes when you change the limb bolt positions. Later, I will look for some good comparison candidates in my database.

My first impression is that it is a nice performing bow. It has good speed and efficiency. Energy per weight on the fingers is around 1 which is pretty good. It also, does not stack appreciably for a bow on a 19 inch riser. This is probably because of the long limbs making it a 64 inch bow.

Notice that the limbs came in just about on the marked weight even though they were mounted on a 19 inch riser instead of a 25. The 1 pound per inch rule did not come into play. At bolts out the bow scaled at 40.2, at bolts in it scaled at 42.3.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Notice that the limbs came in just about on the marked weight even though they were mounted on a 19 inch riser instead of a 25. The 1 pound per inch rule did not come into play. At bolts out the bow scaled at 40.2, at bolts in it scaled at 42.3.
I had 48# Med Winex limbs and I had the same thing, it was around 51# with bolts all the way in. It's not recommended to have this weight on the Pinnacle riser, this weight broke two risers.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I had 48# Med Winex limbs and I had the same thing, it was around 51# with bolts all the way in. It's not recommended to have this weight on the Pinnacle riser, this weight broke two risers.

The numbers had me worried. When I first got the bow I used a cheap spring scale to measure it and got 45#@28". I figured this was about right using the 1#/1" rule.

When I tested with a better scale to get the numbers for the test I thought the scale was faulty but checked it against known weights.

Where did your risers break?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Where did your risers break?
The first riser it ripped the thread out of the riser on the ILF attachment, the second riser split all the way down one of the glues lines. I repaired the first riser using epoxy and used it for WA3D Instinctive which don't allow ILF adjustable limbs so it's still getting some mileage from my friend Kadi with 36# Kaya limbs.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Hank are your graphs labeled correctly? In the draw force graph, if the bolts are "in", should it not pull more weight?

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Yeah, I think they are the other way round.

I harassed Hank for the graphs and he did it within a day. Maybe I also worded the info wrong to him!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good catch Kenn, I checked my data and had the limb bolt position descriptions are correct, but I interchanged the labels that I use to name each bow configuration. The labels are what I use to drive my drop down menus. I hate it when I do that I do not discover it until after I post. I have to stop posting late at night. I can fix the charts in the post. Fortunately, Tradtalk does not lock out editing. But for now, I am taking the day off and spending it at the field range. It is sunny and pleasant today.

Zulu,

I will fix this and send you a new PDF file.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry Hank. I can see which is which.

I thought it was your day off, why aren't you out shooting the Falco?
I edited the post above. I found the problem, I just interchanged the labels by accident and did not catch it. I am taking it easy this morning and thought I would check in before I left for the range. There is a limit to how many shots I can take in a day before I tire. Also, I will be shooting Saturday and Sunday also, so that will not be shooting myself out today.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Having just bought a Pinnacle II with 50# limbs i'm not sure I quite understand your observation of this riser as they sell the Pinnacle with up to 60# limbs? Is your recommendation only with this certain type of limb?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zulu sent me two sets of test data for his Pinnacle II riser with 40 pound long Winex limb. The first set is limbs bolts in, backed off by 1/2 turn, the other is limb bolts out backed off by 1/2 turn. Zulu points out that the Pinnacle II has only 3 turns of adjustment, so this test covers 2 turns.

I will post the main panel for limb bolts in. Zulu provided chrono data for this configuration. I will post comparison charts between the two configurations so that you can see how the bow changes when you change the limb bolt positions. Later, I will look for some good comparison candidates in my database.

My first impression is that it is a nice performing bow. It has good speed and efficiency. Energy per weight on the fingers is around 1 which is pretty good. It also, does not stack appreciably for a bow on a 19 inch riser. This is probably because of the long limbs making it a 64 inch bow.

Hank, Why would the limbs come in at marked weight based on a 25" riser vs. a 19" riser and the same limbs? Guess I still have a lot to learn.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sharp Stick,

ILF is a standard that originated in Olympic style archery. The standard Olympic riser is 25 inches. As ILF becomes becomes entrenched in the traditional community, more products are coming out that are tailored to this niche. Often they are repainted and marked versions of the Olympic style products. Black Max limbs are an example. I believe they are marked for a 19 inch riser. They are made by Samick, the largest manufacturing of recurve archery equipment in the world and a major force in Olympic style archery. If you go to a FITA tournament, everyone except those shooting the new Hoyt standard will have ILF bows. No bolt on's, DAS fittings, or the like. You may see an old Yamaha or a pre-ILF Hoyt, but that is rare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts