Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my first traditional bow, Maddog Prairie Predator, that's supposed to show up early next week. I'm in the Michigan U.P. and winter is just setting in. We keep our house between 68-70 in the winter, but outside temps routinely hang in the low teens to single digits, with occasional minus 10's to minus 30's. Will taking the bow in and out of the house to shoot cause any potential problems?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks YT. I really don't feel like waiting until spring to start shooting, granted arthritic fingers might say otherwise. I've been putting it off but now I need to start ordering stuff, nocks, pliers, bow square, string silencers, tab, points, arrows

· Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I always worried about extreme changes in temps for hunting so I would always let my bow acclimate to the temps before I shot.
As far as training, especially starting out, it wouldn’t be to your advantage shooting in very cold weather.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Carbon foam supposedly mitigates for this but whom of us would ever shoot well enough to notice. Cold's impact on the archer's DL (typically shorter) is waay more of an issue.

· Registered
421 Posts
I read that yew can blow up with very hot temps, I have not heard of yew self bows blowing in cold weather, but it seems that self wood bows could be susceptible more than modern laminated bows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts