Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Border limbs. What can you tell me about their various limbs for an ILF recurve?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi I am new to ILF , but have been a traditional archer for 50+ year's . I am a former bow builder , and have owned bows from many makers . Do to health problems I have been dropping bow weight, so have been looking into high performance hunting bows . There are a number of top end recurves and long bows . I like the fell of the draw of the supper recurves . I think I can shoot longer ( more arrows ) ,and with better form with the bow not stacking at the end of the draw .I have fought target panic, and short drawing most of my life . The draw force curve of the supper curves helps me with that problem . I have picked up 2 set of HEX 6 limbs . A HEX 6 S , 32# on 25" , and a HEX H BB2 ,40 # on 25" . Longs .I have the HEX 6S on a 17" riser pulling 43# @ 28" +/- . I can shoot this setup all day long . I am sold on the supper curves ,Border is one of the best , if not the best .

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sreally they make different models/materials. What is the difference?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am sold on these limbs! I shoot all of my Border limbs very solidly, they are FAST too! I have 3 sets of ILF limbs. I have a set of 34#@29" Hex6h BB2 (paired with 25"gmx), 1 set 36#@28" Hex6s BB2 (paired with 23" Fiberbow 5.3), and a set of 34#@28" Hex5h (paired with camo 23" GMX). I may also buy a Covert Hunter if I get some extra spending cash... which may not be too long since I just paid my car off!!! Oh and yea if you look around you can find the difference in fps between the wood core, superflex (which has been discontinued but you still find in some limbs), and the Hyperflex. You may also be able to find some info on BB1 and BB2 upgrades. I hope this helps a little and didn't make anything more confusing.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hyperflex core offers approximately 2-3 fps more arrow speed over the equivalent multi laminated bamboo/wood core. The difference is about 1-1.5lbs in bow weight.

The BB1 upgrade is a torsional stability increase.

The BB2 upgrade is about 3-5fps speed gain, but includes the BB1 upgrade. The BB2 is smoother than the standard limb. Either upgrade can be applied to Wood or synthetic cores.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
A small custom shop in Scotland. Their innovations seems to have had an influence on limb manufactures across the board. One year Hoyt was expounding on what non-sense Borders was doing. The next year Hoyt was building them. :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
A Hoyt rep gave Sid Jr a rash of manure for 9 moths on the English recurve target forum regarding the fact the more torsional stability was not necessary, a dumb idea, would not help accuracy..... in a most ungentlemanly tone and attitude.

And now what do, you see....

• Engineered with new, high-performance, triaxial all-carbon power elements and a strategically optimized layup for dimensional stability and top-level efficiency
• Features the most sophisticated, high-torsion rigidity carbon layup in modern archery history
• An enhanced force draw curve for an improved feel through the clicker and an ultra-fast damping and low vibration design rounds out the premiere features that make this the most advanced recurve limb in Hoyt's history
• 40% more torsionally stable than any other Hoyt recurve limb ever built along with increased speed
• Grand Prix system provides durability and dead-on alignment each and every time
• Multi-laminate rock maple core
• Material: Carbon/Wood
• Grand Prix (ILF) limb compatible

Hmmmmm???? Wonder why Hoyt changed their mind. I would not buy a Hoyt product because of him.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A Hoyt rep gave Sid Jr a rash of manure for 9 moths on the English recurve target forum regarding the fact the more torsional stability was not necessary, a dumb idea, would not help accuracy..... in a most ungentlemanly tone and attitude.

And now what do, you see....

• Engineered with new, high-performance, triaxial all-carbon power elements and a strategically optimized layup for dimensional stability and top-level efficiency
• Features the most sophisticated, high-torsion rigidity carbon layup in modern archery history
• An enhanced force draw curve for an improved feel through the clicker and an ultra-fast damping and low vibration design rounds out the premiere features that make this the most advanced recurve limb in Hoyt's history
• 40% more torsionally stable than any other Hoyt recurve limb ever built along with increased speed
• Grand Prix system provides durability and dead-on alignment each and every time
• Multi-laminate rock maple core
• Material: Carbon/Wood
• Grand Prix (ILF) limb compatible

Hmmmmm???? Wonder why Hoyt changed their mind. I would not buy a Hoyt product because of him.
Rusty, apples and oranges. Yeah its all fruit, but that's where the comparisons end. Anyone knows when you grab the top of the line model for both companies, there is no copycat. Geess. Lol

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Materials will always go back and forward between companies and with new material of course comes added stiffness Rusty but the limb profile is not seen as an advantage by any of the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Materials will always go back and forward between companies and with new material of course comes added stiffness Rusty but the limb profile is not seen as an advantage by any of the big boys.

I was especially speaking of the added torsional stability. My favorite limb is the CXGs. The added torsional stabile has cut down by a lot the amount I have to fiddle the plunger to keep the arrow down the line in field shooting.

I mentioned that on the English forum. The Hoyt rep more than implied I was lying or such a poor shot I could not tell. well be might be correct that I am not a world class shot but none the less it is true.

.......and now he is eating his words. I wonder what he thought when Hoyt ran that add????

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
The CXGs tune very close to old school. I don't have the CV limbs so can't comment on them. The CXGs tune close enough to my standard tune that it takes very little extra to get them going.

I am glade I am not a bowery on the internet. It is much easier being a Pharmacist and I better not be wrong. It would be a bad day :)

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I think the important thing is Rusty, guys need to realize there's more than one way to skin a cat. Too many guys on here have been brainwashed into believing there is only one choice if you want to shoot like a champ. Truth is there is a riser and limb combo or LB or horsebow or Flatbow out there that's perfect for everyone. Don't believe everything the bowyer tells you, his job depends on you buying his product. Try before you buy if possible and don't assume that one size fits all. I've shot with the best on both sides of the pond and I don't know 2 guys using the exact same set up so that should say something.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts