Trad Talk Forums banner

tapering tool?

Tags
tapering tool
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TheNewGuy 
#1 ·
okay so my new arrows should be here tomorrow or the next day and I forgot to order a 11/32 tapering tool, my teacher has one but dont want to wait another week to start shooting! only place around here with bow stuff is gander and dicks and they dont have them, is there anyway I can taper the arrows to 11/32 without one?

#3 ·
I just made a jig for a bench-top disc sander I already had, similar to the commercial one out there... the "woodchuck power taper tool".
You made that bow in shop class, if I remember right - there's probably a sander there that could be made to work. Even a belt sander..

#6 ·
Do you still have those carbon shaft arrows that you posted about earlier. I think you could get them to fly better if you put some heavier points on them. Something like 175 to 200 grn. Also, do those carbons have feathers or plastic vanes? If you could get the carbons to work then you could wait for the taper tool.

#8 ·
okay thanks @longbowguy, but how do i check if its exactly 11/32? or doesnt it matter?

and @nuthatch, i tried 85, 100, and 125 and 100 easily worked the best but those were all the sizes gander sells which is my only spot for archery stuff around here:/

#11 ·
carved a tip with one arrow and hot glued my field point on, was pretty sure it was a dumb idea but did it anyways ha, worked for about 2-4 hours total of shooting, but then the tip and carved tip broke off somwhere. I wasnt even mad, felt so good to finally practice with a straight flying arrow, flew perfect. Then shot the arrow again to see how it flies now, still flew perect so it all worked out good. So now its just about a 1/3" shorter. Going back to school tomorrow, my archery teacher has a tapering tool he said so ill cut and taper them tomorrow:) but not sure if he has a 11/32 or the other measurment..does it really matter or will it matter if its a different arrow size taper tool?

thanks guys, really am falling in love with this art and have been learning alot with the help of you guys and all my mistakes!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.