Trad Talk Forums banner

Tapering POC and spine loss

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill Carlsen 
#1 ·
If I tapered a 11/32 POC shaft 10" to 5/16 and wanted to end up with a 50# spine what do you think would be a good spine to start with? Its for an English longbow shot off my hand. Do you think barreling the shaft has any advantages? And will it lose more spine? Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
I have done both butt and barrel tapering and did not notice any difference in spine. You would expect to get a bit more arrow speed as tapering makes the arrow lighter. If you have a marginally tuned set up that could cause the arrow to flex too much, but I have not had that happen. I would expect no noticeable change.

#3 ·
When I made custom arrows I tapered all the arrows I made unless asked not to. The 10" never changed the spine more than 1# so if you plan on the single taper just get the shafts that are correctly spined to begin with. The taper will not affect your spine....that has been my experience.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.