Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know, when changing to a thicker or thinner tab, it can subtly change your state of tune. To keep a long story short, lets just say that I am currently fiddling with that and went to a thicker tab for a particular bow. In doing so I have made certain informal observations. These observations have made wonder if some general conclusions can be made.

I would like to just set aside for now the whole "formula" thing, where thickness is directly correlated to draw weight.

Without muddying the waters by getting into what I have noticed and why I think I see the differences that do, I just want to ask a couple of simple questions.

All else being equal, (which it never is):

Thicker tab = Arrow behaves as if it is slightly weaker?

Or

Thicker tab = Arrow behaves as if it is slightly stiffer?

Those who have noticed a difference, what have you seen?

Can general conclusions be made?

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Not quite the answer you are looking as I think both these tabs were two leafed...

The distance was 30m and that's a 65cm face.

Reactions: SteveInNJ

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks. Rednef for posting this. I thought it was just me. What I have noticed, in my experimenting, is that a thicker tab, or especially going to a glove, will show a weaker arrow reaction than when shooting with a thinner slicker tab.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Never even thought about this!

I would think a thicker tab would give you a slight increase in draw length.

Greysides, which was the thicker of the two tabs?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I've never bothered to check for a correlation between tab thickness and tune aside from noticing many times that different tabs will move my groups left and right.

·
8,511 Posts
Zulu, I'm reasonably sure they were both the same. One was to be the 'spare' for the other and therefore was used less........didn't work out.
So don't lose your tab in the middle of a competition.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have spent a good bit of time with three different tabs. Cav Elite, Bateman3u, and most recent the Safari Tuff Jenkins tab. The thickness difference is not big enough to make that big of a difference. What made the most difference with my groups was the width of the registration. I like the thickness of the Bateman but I can squish or curl it to much and that causes left and right issues for me. The Cav Elite still digs my face up. For me the Safari Tuff has it just right but I would like it to be a bit thicker. A little birdie told me that Rod uses two pieces of the main material on his tabs. I think I would like to try that.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You're essentially changing the location of your "rear site" depending on whether it is a ring tab, or a plate tab that could be made of varying thicknesses of leather, metal, or hard plastic. The number and thicknesses of leather between your fingers and the string also affect the point of impact. Find a tab that you can shoot comfortably with a relaxed string hand and tune for it.

Y'all do not want to peer into the box of tabs I own.....there's a whole bunch of them in there, and very seldom do any two different varieties shoot to the same point of impact. Also, break a tab in with at least a hundred shots, and trim it properly before tuning. I could always count on a Cavalier Elite to shoot high stiff for about 50 shots and then start settling in and by 100 shots would be shooting right where it's supposed to. YMMV.

·
( Rob )
429 Posts
It may be me, but just started using a Bateman, and my groups are
a little to the right. The black widow tab is right down the pipe.
Thought it just needs more breaking in!!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I was throwing away some of the material from a trampoline and it kept slipping out of my grip. A light went off. I didn't mic it but it felt pretty thin and that evening I sandwiched a layer of it into a tab I'd made. It was certainly slick and the release was awesome, but from what had been a really well tuned bow, shooting straight down the middle, the arrows coming off of that tab went a solid 6" left and it seemed there was no way I could get it back to center.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Four or so years ago there was this new stuff they sold. In a small sheet for tab faces. You could buy it from one of the GB on line stores. Different color sheet had different attributes. At time I was going from a 45# target0 limbs to 32 to 36#. The red sheets fit me prectly. It does not last a long time. Down to last three sheets. Some liked it some did not. Worked great for me.

·
8,511 Posts
Four or so years ago there was this new stuff they sold. In a small sheet for tab faces. You could buy it from one of the GB on line stores. Different color sheet had different attributes. At time I was going from a 45# target0 limbs to 32 to 36#. The red sheets fit me prectly. It does not last a long time. Down to last three sheets. Some liked it some did not. Worked great for me.
Oberon?

From Arrowhead UK?

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
For got the tie in to OP. This sheet stuff cost me a little speed what I gained was less variations???? Compared to usual cordovan. This is just on the lighter draw limbs?? yes I don't understand either ????

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Normally I make all my tabs the same thickness. Even if it means dressing down the leather on a belt sander. Then break them in of course. But I am currently shooting a 50# longbow. Thought I would try thicker. I like it. The string doesn't want to sink in and feel like it wants to "hang" on release. I had no feeling of needing more finger "protection". It just gives a nicer release.

Anyway, with no other changes, the arrows seem to want to behave as if slightly weak. My "explanation" is right in line with DaveV's idea. Thicker tab, higher amplitude oscillations in the string, more bend induced in the arrow shaft on initial flex upon release. Just as if you had shot a slightly weak arrow.

Given that sgrella is really the only response so far out of a bunch that clearly corresponds with my own observations, that's just one. Not much to try and generate a rule of thumb with.

I think I MIGHT be able to reach a generalization for myself. But it would require trying it on several more bow/arrow combinations. Probably foolish to attempt to extend any such generalizations to others. The effect is subtle, and surely the idiosyncrasies of any individual shooter would be the ultimate over riding determining factors of how such a change would manifest itself.

I brought this up with a friend of mine and he has quite the assortment of tabs. He just pretty much sorts through them, looking for what best shoots down the line as he tunes his set up. Doesn't really trip on stiff or weak, he's just looking for line.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
With the Oberon ( thank you Greysides) I feel the string more. It is further in my hook. I think it kicks my fingers out of the way. With a cordovan tab with powder, I get more finger slip and less early kick.

I can't shot with thick tabs

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I've been shooting Oberon for a while now. It's definitely very consistent and not effected by rain/moisture.
Unfortunately it just doesn't have that cordovan slickness or durability. I'm hoping that perhaps one of these ballistic nylon materials will bring those characteristics to synthetics.
One of the best parts of Oberon is that you can just bolt on a new piece and within 50 shots it shoots just like the old one and will do until it eventually tears.

-Grant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts