Trad Talk Forums banner

Tab Trouble

Tags
tab trouble
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  granite14 
#1 ·
I think I am narrowing down my left-right problem I have been having. I have been blaming the problem on a torqueing problem that I have been struggling with. But today I tried a different tab.

After three hours at the range today getting frustrated with my spraying arrows left and right, I grabbed my emergency backup tab out of desperation. And I was surprised at the difference.

I have been shooting my current tab for about 5 years now. This is a home made tab I got at a range in Spokane about 10 years ago.

The image below is one of my better groups with the old tab at 20 yards.

Then I tried a new tab

Then I just started shooting groups of three arrows switching between tabs. The lower three is with the new tab. My aiming point is the intersection of the white string and the horizontal red strip at the bottom of the photos. This is a typical picture of 12 ends of repeating this three old/three new sequence.

Changing of the tab not only shrunk the groups, but the elevation also changed. I am shooting 3 under, middle finger to corner of the mouth.

Then last image is the two tabs side by side, front and back sides of the tab.

I have heard people talk about the tab can affect ones shooting, but I have been under the impression that it is a minor effect. The magnitude of this was very surprising to me. Is this normal?

I am now in search of a new tab

Pete

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe Sam is on to something there. The effect is quite real. And it has always seemed to me that it is a matter of state of tune. But I myself wouldn't care to say WHICH direction the change went for you. Try and recheck tune and see what it shows you.

#4 ·
Yeah, the Neet Monster tab does seem to work better than my old tab. I bought that Neet Monster tab about 12 years ago to be an emergency backup tab, and now its my only tab. I have tried the Bateman three under tab, but the way it holds onto the finger requires a much deeper hook that doesn't work well with my face structure. But the string did seem to jump right out of the tab/fingers much better with the Bateman tab.

My next plan is to get a Safari Tuff tab and give that one a go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.