Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a weakness for the super .220-.225 OD, skinny carbon arrows ever since I started with the old AFC "SuperShafts", Bemons and some of the old Easton PC and ACC shafts. I like the penetration of a small diameter heavy shaft following a larger head ferrule. I have not seen any for sale for some years since Cabelas dropped the ones they used to carry

This weekend at Compton's we had a gentleman come up to the archery shed for a breather with a quiver full of Victory VAP super skinny arrows with seriously heavy FOC heads fletched with 4 small feathers cut like Blazers. I really liked the look of them.

Does anyone have the --ahem----"skinny" on these Victory brand arrows and the VAP shafts?
I have not been looking at shafts for a quite while and I've hot heard of this MFG/marketeer

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Good shafts. The V6 version is all a Trad shooter ever needs.
Easton G nocks are a direct fit but ACE components are just a little too tight.

VAP Inserts from screw-in points are know for being less than strong. The SS ones are a little better. I believe Firenock makes an outsert which is considered very strong.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shot a lot of "outsert" shafts and found ought they deliberately made the outserts a bit on the soft side as sort of a safety link in the structure. whole lot easier and a LOT cheaper to remove/replace a bent outsert than to have a shaft snap right at the end of the outsert. A bent outsert is real easy to diagnose, that for sure.
The ONLY AFC I broke snapped on a hard deflection right at the end of the ferrule. I still have 11 of the very first dozen from the late 70's as I recall. I lost one but found it 2 years later---blades rusted and fletching gone but with cleanup the shaft was perfectly ok and right now looking at hem I'm not sure which one it was.

Who are you all using as a source? none of the Compton vendors carried them

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Vaps are great. I also like the Firenock outserts and have some you can try. What spine, length, and point weight are you looking for. target or hunting? For target definitely go with glue in points and avoid the whole outsert issue.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I ordered half a dozen 400s off Amazon. well see how they turn out. I'm thinking of using some old 150 gr 2 blade thunderheads with them for deer hunting. If they work well I'll screw in target points for tuning and practice.
I'm just not enough of a target archer to use the dedicated glue-ins. I DO have some on other arrows and they are an advantage. but in that case I have practice arrows and hunting arrows out of the same batch and balanced out to the same weight.

I have a WHOLE lot of old AFC and Beman DIVA shafting (bought ALL the skinny shaft inventory from a store that was selling out pre-bankruptcy. probably 8 or 10 dozens of the shafts.) plus 3 or 4 dozen of the Easton PC shafting still in their packages. I said I did like the skinny shafts LOL
I also acquired a bunch of AFC 2540 made up arrows from a member who was going to a lighter bow, (they are great with 60# and up) now I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I to love the skinny shafts and have been shooting the vaps 400 v1 for years now, you will love them. I only use the ss inserts and 300 gr. heads. Four fletch with razors, 400 gr. up front and they PENETRATE and fly like darts.

·
Locomo
843 Posts
[QUOTE Four fletch with razors, 400 gr. up front and they PENETRATE and fly like darts.[/QUOTE]

Vital,

What weight bow are you shooting with 400 gr. upfront?.

All Good,
Don;

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I to love the skinny shafts and have been shooting the vaps 400 v1 for years now, you will love them. I only use the ss inserts and 300 gr. heads. Four fletch with razors, 400 gr. up front and they PENETRATE and fly like darts.
Wow, how do you even get 400gr up front? What does that work out to, 50% FOC? :D

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been shooting arrows for damn near 60 years. I have never quite been convinced about the current trend toward the ultra heavy FOC. guess I need to search the "heavy FOC threads". I know there was a talk on it at Compton's but I was unable to get to it.
Maybe I can try it with one of these arrows but it must require a whole new paradigm when it comes to arrow spine values.
I have a set of Axis 340s I made up for My DAS when I was shooting 65 pounds I had superb flight using my "standard" 125 grain heads that I can't use now. no idea what weight I'd have to pile on to despine them for 45 pounds, or what the trajectory would be like. Whole nother thread I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Wayne, I have a dozen of the Victory V6 Nano in .600s, couple years old now.
Pre-VAP versions, I think.
Real thin and light, pretty durable too, I've stumped with them quite a bit with the lighter glue-ins they came with, either 65 or 80 grains, not sure which, now.
I have 2.5" feathers on them, and they fly great from several of my 45#ish bows.
I really like them.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
The good news is: All VAPs come with TopHat points right from Victory. We make the points for Victory now, so you'll get our regular SL Convex points with your Victory VAPs.
Wow, that is great news! VAP factory points have always been a bit lacking.

-Grant

1 - 20 of 32 Posts