Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
today i was working an outdoors show and a man asked if we buy old bows. I said LAS doesn't but i may be interested. He has a damon and howatt super diablo or a diablo he wasn't sure which bow he had. What would a fair price for a shootable super diablo or diablo be? I don't want to low ball him.
I have a howatt hunter and would like another vintage bow.
thanks

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
In good condition and a 'desire-able' draw weight they can go $300 or more at auction.

Without pictures and details, harder to be precise.

I would not suggest one if your draw length is over 28 inches. (And I'm sure Larry Hatfield will lash me with a bowstring for that statement! ;-) )

They *will* launch an arrow with *authority*.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I sold a couple of 1974 Super Diablos for a little over $350. They had been refinished and were really sharp. As said, there is a big difference between the plain Diablo and the Super Diablo. I've never been able to get what I considered to be a fair price when I've sold the older Howatts. There just isn't as much appreciation for them as there is for Bear bows.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not counting the one I traded in the 70s for a Colt revolver, I sold a '73 Super Diablo a few years ago for $350. The Colt trade was still my best deal.

·
Jon Boat Flotilla Admiral
3 Posts
Exciting times, I just recently bought at auction (eBay) an old Damon Howatt Super Diablo LH, 60" and 60# (seller claims 61#, we'll see.) He's the original owner, bought it in 80' or 81'. It should show up in the mail sometime between today and the weekend. Beautiful looking bow, pleasantly affordable listing and I was astonished to find a left hand one, so I hope the condition is as legit in person as it seemed online. Everything I've read up on them has indicated they're still great bows, assuming it hasn't cracked/splintered/delaminated, which this one seems to have avoided. I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

·
Jon Boat Flotilla Admiral
3 Posts
Darn rwaterman00, sorry to hear he never brought it around. Mine showed up not long after I sent that last message, no string or silencers in the box so I had to order them as well. No damages to speak of except of course the label where it says "Super Diablo" is mostly flaked away. At least that was a mentioned detail w/ photo in the listing.

It had a bit of adhesive left from some old camo paint and a whole ton of nicotine residue from presumably years of hanging in the guy's den, but that cleaned up readily with some denatured alcohol and a rag and polished up nice with some linseed oil for the riser and some sweet boat polish for the black and white fibreglass.

Strings up nicely, and as Dana says it puts arrows down range with level authority. At least hunting season is way off from now so I'll have some time to actually get decent with this thing, at 60# it bucks like a mule. I've never had a bow leave me with a sore forward shoulder but I've also never shot a 60# recurve for hours before either.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
great looking bow!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts