Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I was wondering what you guys wear for summer shooting hats. I know some of you are still covered up with snow, but summer starts early here in Central Texas, and gets hotter and hotter until about the end of October. It will be upon us before you know it. Having already been carved on twice in the past year for squamous cell carcinoma (skin cancer caused by overexposure to the sun) I need a hat with a brim to cover my head and shade my face. I currently have a couple of Tilley hats and a Vietnam style camo bucket hat. I would really like to find something that looks a little sportier, and shades me from the sun. Something that will not interfere with my shooting, and still do the job. So what do you guys wear for a shooting hat when the weather gets hot? Pictures welcome.
Thanks,
Jack

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Tilley-style hat and a liberal application of the highest SPF sun block for me. I also try to wear long sleeved shirts and pants if it isn't too hot out. Squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, and melanoma are not something to take lightly. One of the golf instructors I had was recently diagnosed with end stage squamous cell carcinoma that had spread and is no longer treatable. I plan to live as long and as healthy a life as I can and enjoy archery for as many years as my body will allow.

·
Beginner in traditional
51 Posts
I need to wear a more covering hat, and a regular baseball style hat has always worked for shooting my much shorter compound but I think I will be looking for a hat as well since I had to wear it backwards Saturday. I noticed Byron Ferguson's hat hits his string but is soft enough not to interfere. Maybe I'll find one similar to his...

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I see Redbow is using hair. In Ireland we use clouds.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There's a Seattle Sombrero on the big auction site, at $5.50 with free shipping, with about nine hours left. It's a Medium,(about a 7 to 7 1/4). If that would fit you, I'd jump on it. Luck, James

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wear one that I got from Bob Morrison with a short bill. It's camo, and lightweight. It has a wire in the brim, so that you can fold the brim up in order to create string clearance. And it has Morrison embroidered on the front. Pretty classy, and I like to advertise for Bob. Super good guy and wonderful products! I think I paid around $12 TYD.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Don't Texans wear Stetsons, white if your a good guy, black if your bad?

·
Backyard Archer Savant
12 Posts
A lot of Olympic archers wear bucket hats, but I like a wider brim, so I go with a boonie hat. With the soft brim, if the string touches it, it bends up out of the way.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I have a canvas fedora which I shoot in just about all weather. I like the short brim and it has a little protection for your neck.

As a note:
Get all the vitamin D3 that you can if sunburn is a problem for you. D3 is something which few people in North America (especially higher up) really have enough of and it contributes substantially to reducing skin cancer. The only time you get it naturally from the sun is when your shadow is shorter then you are, this is because of how the atmosphere refracts the UV light. So unfortunately if you wear a hat then you really aren't getting the beneficial sun exposure which helps your skin fight off cancer, but you do get the early and late light which causes problems.
When someone goes tanning in order to reduce their chance of a burn it isn't actually that the tan is protecting them so much as they are increasing their D3 levels.

-Grant

·
Registered
106 Posts
I flinch when my string hits even a flexible brim, so I use a large paper clip to pinch up the offending area on a boonie-type hat. There's probably a better solution, but that was the first - and last - one that crossed my mind.

I twist baseball hats slightly sideways when shooting.

Robin Hood got it right with the pointy hat, though sunlight through the forest canopy may not have been a big issue back in that day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Outdoor research had quite a few nice summer hats. Lots have mesh for great ventilation but still provide sun block.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
He was complaining about our Estonian water (we have our own deep bore Well), said his hair looked/felt horrible. The girl that cleans doesn't speak English and the only word she understood on the bottle was "Shampoo" so she moved from kitchen to shower room. Seems Dana doesn't read too well without his glasses :mistake:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some floppy hats with a wider brim will have Velcro to put just one side up (think red legs captain from mosey wales). May help keep your shooting side clear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts