Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my soybean seeds were crossed with kudzu. The soybeans are as tall as the ears of corn on the corn stalks. Amazing what some soil improvement, correcting the pH, and properly fertilizing can do....

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I think my soybean seeds were crossed with kudzu. The soybeans are as tall as the ears of corn on the corn stalks. Amazing what some soil improvement, correcting the pH, and properly fertilizing can do....
Better living through chemicals - I'm all for it :)

You should see our home garden - my wife is a little hippy groovy and was thinking compost no fertilizer and all that jazz. I let her have at it for a year or two and then took a soil sample to the local county extension agent and had him analyze it.

Needless to say we use the good stuff now and the plants love it.

Matt

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Matt, you gave the compost a go, now you grow. :lol:

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt, the best thing I did for this plot would probably be considered orgainc. I put 1 1/2 tons of chicken poop per acre on it. You can grow tomatoes on concrete if you put enough chicken dook on it.

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That analysis of commercial broiler litter from what I've read is, 3-3-2. So on a per ton basis that's only 60lbs of pure nitrogen per acre. It is really good fertilizer and lasts longer than commercial fertilizer.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Brad - I thought you were talking pure manure not litter (I think in terms of cow poo) the nitrogen load on the pure stuff is off the charts.

Rodger - I grew up an a large Dairy we worked on a liquid manure system. Farm was on a hill and all the freestall barns drained to an centeral spot not unlike the drain in your basement then the shit flowed down through a 4 foot in diamiter pipe to Lake shitola - 5 acers and 15 feet deep - now that was A LOT OF SHIT.

It would form a crust and not smell at all but when you broke the crust to pump the lagoon you can't describe the stench. We used a 6 wheel drive tank truck that the army used to gas battle tanks with to spread the shit.

Matt

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Brad - I thought you were talking pure manure not litter (I think in terms of cow poo) the nitrogen load on the pure stuff is off the charts.

Rodger - I grew up an a large Dairy we worked on a liquid manure system. Farm was on a hill and all the freestall barns drained to an centeral spot not unlike the drain in your basement then the shit flowed down through a 4 foot in diamiter pipe to Lake shitola - 5 acers and 15 feet deep - now that was A LOT OF SHIT.

It would form a crust and not smell at all but when you broke the crust to pump the lagoon you can't describe the stench. We used a 6 wheel drive tank truck that the army used to gas battle tanks with to spread the shit.

Matt
Your right that is a lot of shit! and I live in California we don't have basements

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt, it sort of is, and it sort of isn't. How's that for commitment? :lol:

The chickens are raised on the ground in the houses. Pine shavings are used to keep the birds off of bare dirt. Shavings are added as litter (PC term for poop) is removed. After a couple years it's probably 90% poop and 10% shavings, but it goes through a heat and composts as the birds grow, and especially between flocks when the houses are empty and the crusty litter is removed. That 3-3-2 analysis may be outdated as the houses use to get cleaned to the ground much more often and had a higher sawdust content. I'll see if I can get a newer analysis. Of course fresh or wet manure has more nitrogen in it than composted manure.

I have 2-3 tons of litter that's been in our drystack barn piled up beside my garden. I'm going to spread it with a boxblade on my garden late this fall. I did that about 5 years ago and the next year I had squash plants half the size of a pickup truck.

Those lagoons are just plain nasty.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Heck - confinement farming is just plan nasty but, it is what feeds the masses - you couldn't do it any other way. When we went to the liquid system and away for spreading every day we saved 1/2 a man's labor and who knows how much gas - it payed for it's self in 3 and 1/2 years.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts