Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I switched to 3under. Works well for me out to about 40 yds. Now I'm wondering if it would be advisable to go back to split and/ or change my anchor point for longer ranges. I'd like to shoot a 1440 this summer traditional, oh, and be somewhat competitive, lol.
I watched Jimmy Blackmon's 90m off the shelf. Wow, that man can shoot.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
I have shot over 30 FITA's in the past few years. I have never shot 90 meters three under. The best I have been able to do is 70 meters aiming with the shelf. Today, I shoot 90 and 70 split, and 50 and 30, three under. I can go either three under or split for 70. I switched to split when I got a Black Mamba Venom tab that I really liked. Splitting this way also means that I am shooting all split on the long first day, and all three under on the short second day. Also, you can change bows and arrows for FITA. I often go to a slower bow on the shorter day. That allows me to tune a bow for split, and a lighter bow for three under. Between arrow and bow changes, you can work it out where you have something on the target at all four distances.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Low anchor, short light arrows and fast limbs.

Reactions: crunch

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
.243 or .270, or just listen to Hank. :D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hank.
I didn't realize you could switch anchor and bows. Sounds like with some planning/ playing it CAN be done! :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Set my tiller back to +1/8", and I'll give it a go. Right now WAY to cold and snowy for 70/90m.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
The history of my 90 meter shots over the past few years. The holding weights are higher than listed since I have a long draw. My draw increased from 31 to 32 inches during the timeframe below. All 90 meter shots were split finger with 344 gr full length Easton ACE 430 arrows.

40 pound PSE Carbon limbs on Best Moon riser: Anchor dropped to chin line, aimed shelf at top of target, rose a small amount, and shot blind since my hand and riser was blocking the target.
36 Pound Border HEX5W limbs on Best Moon riser: Shelf somewhere on the target, corner of the mouth anchor.
37 Pound Border HEX5S limbs on Best Moon riser: Shelf somewhere on the target, corner of the mouth anchor.
35 Pound Border HEX6S limbs on Bernardini Nilo riser: Point somewhere on the target, corner of the mouth anchor.

I have made form changes lately that have shortened my point on. I believe that now I would have to put my rest wire or shelf on the target. I actually think that is a good thing. It reduces the impact of an inconsistent draw since you do not get the double penalty of less power and lower trajectory if you creep. My best scores were shot aiming with the shelf.

For 70 meters I have to go to heavier 434 gr ACG arrows. Otherwise, I am aiming in the grass in front of the target. ACE and ACG interchange pretty easily since the shafts are the same size. The difference is that the ACE's are barreled, whereas the ACG's are parallel. I shoot full length 430's for both (the ACE's have 1/8 inch longer shafts), but have 90 gr points and no pin nocks on the ACE, 120 points and pin nocks on the ACG.

Alan Eagleton (Barebowguy) has also shot a lot of FITA's. In fact, I think he has the National Star FITA record at 90 meters. He has experimented a lot. I have seen him change limbs and arrows over the years, though I do not recall ever seeing him change bows in the middle of a FITA. He even tried the ultra light McKinney II arrows.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking forward to the snow to go...

Thanks for the info. Although I don't have Border limbs it gives me a place to start.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Thanks Hank.
I didn't realize you could switch anchor and bows. Sounds like with some planning/ playing it CAN be done! :)
This is why I have trouble with NFAA. I change hooks based on distance. I shoot a FITA legal barebow. I finally decided not to fight the trad rules and shoot traditional longbow this year....and then they decided to change the longbow rules. Anyway, I wanted to make sure that I was IFAA and IBO legal, so that is the setup I am going to shoot for 3D's. I will probably shoot my FITA bow for any NFAA shoot that uses targets.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
So Crunch, why are we sitting here typing on our computers and not out shooting? I guess it is cold and snowy where you are. It is unseasonable warm here. I was out retrofitting my FITA bow for stringwalking early this morning and shooting some field targets, until I got tired. I was finished by 10:30. I may go out a bit later and do some more tuning. It looks like it is going to be somewhat of a timely process. I found bare shafting difficult with a one inch crawl. I think I will optimize sound first, and then bare shaft.

·
Registered
302 Posts
With 40lb Border Limbs and carbon one 660 arrows I am point on three under at 70m. Not done much at 90m but would probably go split with under the chin anchor.

Normally I get to shoot Master 50+ which is 70m, 60m, 50m, and 30m but if they start eliminating the master classes and just go with senior I am going to have to get use to shooting 90m.

Does not make much difference this year as I am going to shoot my English longbow outdoors and because I have some York rounds to do (100 yards, 80 yards and 60 yards) I will attempt to shoot 90m. But that will be split under the chin anchor for all distances except maybe 30m.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hank,

I shot a bit inside this am as well. Then attempted to repair the indoor butts. Couldn't get into our storage building. Too much ice.

·
Barebow recurve
944 Posts
At 45#, I shoot 70m with split finger, index finger in corner of mouth, aim off the shelf. At 90m, it is split finger and chin anchor, spot on. It was a bit of an epiphany at 90m, as it could be how that distance was originally selected.

I know what you mean about classes, Hank. I facewalk and it doesn't quite fit in here in So Cal. Stringwalking is almost completely foreign and I have not seen anyone else do it. Given all the NFAA shoots here, I end up in freestyle recurve, recurve trad, or barebow. If it is hotly contested I just don't turn in a scorecard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts