Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to obtain a travel case for an Olympic style recurve, 25" riser, long limbs.

I do not need it to travel on a plane for an African Safari, but rather to put in the car for travel to various shoots.

I do not want to spend a fortune.

I would like it to be able to hold 2 risers, and 2 sets of limbs (one as a backup).

I would also like it to have several areas to store tools, strings, bow wax, arm guard, etc...

I would prefer it to come with an arrow tube as well.

I would like it to be fairly sturdy, convenient, and easy to carry.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just use an old compound case with new foam cut to fit. Two risers and two sets of limbs fit no problem, but I carry the arrows separately in their quiver. Fits in the trunk of the car, too.

The Safari Tuff Rhino is really nice but I don't think you'd get two risers in one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Urban,

I have two Hoyt bags - their large backpack style which loads from the side, and their slightly smaller (just slightly) front loading. I have found both to be built well, I have one of them in my car almost every day.

I like the front loading one better in that it provides very easy access and seems to hold more than it's big brother due to the design. It retails for about $95. It will definitely hold two sets of limbs, but I am not sure about two risers. The bigger bag will hold two of both as I have done it, but because of the side entry, it is harder to get the two sets of limbs in there. If one is a set of Borders (one of mine is), the extra curve makes it hard to get two sets of limbs in the bigger bag.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Reactions: UrbanDeerSlayer

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm thinking along the same lines as arrowwood. You can even consider a generic case, such as the following.

http://www.flambeau-cases.com/fl50845-infinity.htm

The weird thing about this product is that 2 cases cost almost the same as 1 case, so if you can find a friend that wants one and you split the cost, you have a hardshell case for less than $60.

This case is big enough to fit an arrow tube, risers and limbs etc. You can install your own foam and cut it to fit your personal equipment perfectly. Don't buy their foam as the price is too high. You can get free foam pretty easily. Smaller cases are available also.

Also, my gut feeling is that a generic case is less likely to be the target of theft. A compound case could make your stuff a target for theft.

Reactions: UrbanDeerSlayer

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good ideas. I am kind of liking the compactness of the backpack. There will be alot of grabbing and going to the local club at least once a week, sometimes twice. Then I shoot 3D locally almost every weekend when Spring hits. The backpack, I think would be most convenient. Anybody else have any thoughts on the backpacks? Are the backpacks big enough to pack additional personal items like some clothing if say you are driving to a weekend shoot and staying overnight?

I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are the backpacks big enough to pack additional personal items like some clothing if say you are driving to a weekend shoot and staying overnight?
I think so, but am not sure. I am going to find out next week when I go to New Mexico for Nationals. I am taking the front loading bag as there is no way the side loading will allow for clothes, at least not easily.

The one issue with the front loading bag is that it has a compartment with lots of little compartments, but the zipper does not go down as far as I would like so that the bottom compartment (which is the biggest) is easily accessible. It is still usable, but slightly clumsy.

Alan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two Target bows =5000.00 or more. I only use SKB ,Two bows arrows and all the goodies
and three days of clothes. Did I say bomb proof.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
SKB, if you are really quick you can find them for sale on Amazon a few times a year.

-Grant

·
Registered
414 Posts
SKB, if you are really quick you can find them for sale on Amazon a few times a year.

-Grant
Do you know Amazon won't ship gun cases to Canada? WTH? I am looking at a Pelican 1750. Amazon had a great price but they say right in the terms this item will not ship to Canada.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pelican 1700 - take the guts out and pad you gear with clothing.
Thanks Matt. I am looking at the Pelican 1750 because i should be able to get a riser, limbs, arrow case and a couple of swords in there. It will be unwieldy but they seem like they are pretty secure. I just came back from a trip with a Safari brand (not Safari Tough) single rifle case that someone in airline baggage tried to break into. It had two built in combination locks and they snapped the hasp on one and tried to pry up the other. But the guy at the store where I was looking at the Pelican said he had heard of people just hack sawing through the plastic and aluminum around the padlock holes of the Pelican and opening the case that way. Man, there are some determined thieves out there. I do like the idea of having a one case armoury though instead of having bits and pieces cached throughout my luggage. I also like the idea of having wheels. Those things get heavy when loaded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts