Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Losing arrows since 1966
337 Posts
... carbons, because that's what I have...
... when a dozen becomes 4 or less, they become flu-flus and blunts....
... I make killer (pun totally intended) blunts from a 1/2 oz lead sinker...
Writing implement Natural material Wood Art Creative arts

·
Losing arrows since 1966
337 Posts
... I also use field point with a grass catcher... just a sheet metal star behind the point... not much investment compared to a small game head...
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Revolver

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I use field point and a wide nylon or steel washer (say 10-12mm) between insert and point these days, or a good rubber blunt. No longer the Judos.

As for the shafts, they need to be fairly tough for stumping I think, esp if there are rocks in the ground, but should be inexpensive enough to lose!

Mine are carbon, GT Hunter or Accmos, with 3x bright orange fletching, and orange nock point. I'm experimenting with bright pink right now also. Both hard to lose, but pink esp in low light.

·
Losing arrows since 1966
337 Posts
I never did stump shooting but it sure seems like a lot of fun. I always kind of worry about damaging and loosing arrows.
...no worries... one of the reasons to stump shoot, is to lose the fear of losing arrows… take that hard shot… see it you can hit it… and it doesn’t need to be “stumps”… after the Y2K beanie baby crash, you could buy them for .50 ¢ at the flea market... I had a mini 3d course setup with them, for blunts and flu-flues… that was pretty cool, now that I look back on it….

·
Bart Harmeling
3,716 Posts
Stump shooting is really good practice for hunting. I always used the same arrows for stumping as I was for hunting. Bright fletching helps locate lost arrows and so does strips of bright wrap material in front of and behind the fletching. Judos work really well as they help arrows from snaking under the grass, or going under ground in loose forest soil. Problem is that Judo points are limited in weight options. One solution to this is using glue on Judos matched to aluminum or steel adapters to get your desired weight. Muzzy grasshoppers are another great option if you can find them. They have springy arms like a judo but can go on behind any kind of point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Never cared for judos... the spring arms always get bent up or fell off. G5 small game heads , ace hex heads, or field tips with a grass catcher are the most durable for my use.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I never did stump shooting but it sure seems like a lot of fun. I always kind of worry about damaging and loosing arrows.
Lost a few, broke a few. It's why I have arrows designated as 'stumpers'...if it happens, I don't get too upset over it. I've taken some wild 'Hail Mary' shots while stumping, some good, some gone forever!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Gnome.

Lefthanded, yeah I used aluminum with judos when I was a kid. Why points today?

Do LED nocks help with finding arrows?
Because I'm to lazy to look and see if I can find something other than points that will fit my carbons. Heck, just finding points to fit my carbons is a pain.

I've never shot LED arrows but I suppose it could help. - LH1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lost a few, broke a few. It's why I have arrows designated as 'stumpers'...if it happens, I don't get too upset over it. I've taken some wild 'Hail Mary' shots while stumping, some good, some gone forever!
My son and I used to stump shoot years ago. He once took a "hail Mary" shot and had the arrow hit a tree about 25' up. If you know where to look you'll see that arrow is still there.... 25 years later! - LH1

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Colors - Blue and yellow, or blue and white for me. Im partially color blind and in general these colors show up best for me.

Points - nothing beats Zwickey Judos.The arms keep them from getting buried and the spring tends to pop them back up on top of litter and etc. They are durable but expensive. Small arm bends dont effect flight and the arms rarely break,

Chinese judos are cheap but they do they tend to break every imaginable way. Good for kids will lose them eventually no matter what.

I also blunts with a grass catcher. Affordable and work well enough.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The Zwickey Judos work great up to 40-45lb or so bows. Start getting up higher, and with heavier arrows, they start to come apart on impact, in my experience. Main thing that bugs me with the judos though is pulling the dirt and leaf matter off them before each shot.

Field point and washer, or weed eater nylon, or what Gnome has is the way to go. Just need something to slow penetration. I tap the arrow on my boot to get the extras off, and good to go for the next shot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, everyone. I bought a pack of cheap China "judos" before reading this thread. I'll try them with some cheap carbon shafts. Sounds like they'll get all bent up and I'll end up buying the original Judos I used as a kid, or any number of the great alternatives offered in this thread:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts