Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an older thread pertaining to the STS Silencer and looked them up online. 39.99 for an adaptor, a rod, and a star shaped rubber gizmo which allows the bow string to stop forward movement and reduce noise. I'm thinking I may order one for my DAS. Can someone tell me if this will work on the DAS riser without any other modifications? I'm guessing the STS was meant to be used on a compound bow? Anyone have any problems mounting it on a DAS? Does the five oz riser weight get in the way of the rod? Just wondering if I should pass, or not. Plus, I thought somone may have a used one they no longer want. Thanks...Ed Carneal in VA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used one on a compound. IMHO, the sound reduction was not worth the extra weight. It still needed string tamers to be added.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Interesting, that Korak didn't see results. Someone else here raved about them. I've noticed that the compounds on the range with them seem very quiet, although that could have more to do with other bow design elements.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have them on both my DAS risers, Gen 1 and Master. I love them, 4 decible drop. They also work great to check your brace height. I mod. them to not use the front bushing. I used the riser weight hole by turning out a piece of (durlan) sp. plastic a little longer, then drilling a hole in it to accept the rod with a set screw. It's compact and adjustable. You can then use a stableizer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just checked out a closeup pic online and I can now see that the silencer is not meant to be used with the stabilizer. vitalinvader, your approach is most interesting, but I would think that the round piece of stock which you crafted, would turn in the weight hole as only the small set screw would hold it in place. Doesn't the weight of the rod assembly and shooting the bow cause the plastic piece you made to slip some? Possibly, you used a longer set screw and actually have it screwed into the plastic piece?

Anyone else using one of these sliencers? I'd like to hear what you think about the product and how well it does it's job. Thanks.....EC

·
Registered
146 Posts
The plastic piece dosn't move at all with just the set screw. In fact I've moved it around a few times switching from LB limbs to recurve. I was also thinking about haveing the brass weights that Shortdraw makes a little longer and drilling it out to accept the rod and tapped with set screw to hold rod in and out. Then you wouldn't need a stab. You could also drill out the brass weight length wise to reduce the weight to what you need.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting the pics. That's a very nice setup. I like the quiver too. I just got one a couple of months ago and just found the time to try it out last week. It carrys very well and seems to be the best option other than a bowquiver. I like your idea pertaining to the brass weight. I may have to order one long enough to adapt it the way you did. How long is your plastic piece? Thanks...EC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are 1.5" long. You might want to go 1.75 with the brass so you can get the balance right, left to right with the weight. You can always bore it out some to reduce weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts