Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
String walking is a bit Witchery no doubt. When you read something about string walking such as tips even from experts you have to put them in the experts context. I read a recommendation from a true expert that when string walker consider an arrow spines two spines up from recommended.

This may be the secret for a chin anchor field shooting but for a high hunting anchor out to 30 yards I could not make it work. In fact the recommended spin worked very well?????

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe related to a smaller than average crawl? Less 'dryfire', closer to a normal release?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Im interested to see what the stringwalkers input is, but having shot IBO 3D, if I was shooting RU I would be attempting to tune a fast, flat shooting bow with a light weight arrow. Then with a high anchor, the crawls at 33 yds and under should be minimal.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tip did explain why was having trouble using my tuning experience from a hunting crawl when moving to a chain anchor. From a chin anchor I can not make a heavier spin work.

It could be just me though. I wanted to open up a discussion regard it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
String walking is a bit Witchery no doubt. When you read something about string walking such as tips even from experts you have to put them in the experts context. I read a recommendation from a true expert that when string walker consider an arrow spines two spines up from recommended.

This may be the secret for a chin anchor field shooting but for a high hunting anchor out to 30 yards I could not make it work. In fact the recommended spin worked very well?????
Rusty, (or anyone)
I did a field shoot with SLR a number of years ago and he was always turning his plunger depending on the distance. Would that have something to do with having a heavier spine arrow than what was recommended for his draw weight?

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Rusty, (or anyone)
I did a field shoot with SLR a number of years ago and he was always turning his plunger depending on the distance. Would that have something to do with having a heavier spine arrow than what was recommended for his draw weight?
No, it's to compensate for the different dynamic spine that the different crawls induce. Arrows can only be tuned to one crawl with a zone of good tune around it. The zone is wider for longer bows. Outside the zone the arrows will tend to be weak at one end and stiff at the other. Generally, weak on the long (short distance) crawls and stiff on the short (long distance) crawls.

Reactions: kestimator

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Matt and Jason, I realize you both have a looong DL, do you tune for the shortest arrow, or do you tune for your desired Point-On?
You can cut arrows ???

Never cut an arrow in my life LOL. Just tune with tip weight.

Matt

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
You can cut arrows ???

Never cut an arrow in my life LOL. Just tune with tip weight.

Matt

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)
Possibly more problems finding arrows long enough I would think. At least with my draw I can get 2 arrows out of one shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
No, it's to compensate for the different dynamic spine that the different crawls induce. Arrows can only be tuned to one crawl with a zone of good tune around it. The zone is wider for longer bows. Outside the zone the arrows will tend to be weak at one end and stiff at the other. Generally, weak on the long (short distance) crawls and stiff on the short (long distance) crawls.
So where does this leave the springy then? I thought about trying one but wasn't sure how they worked for string walking.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All this RU talk is intriguing to me...I'm probably making the switch to RU next year but I have a really hard time getting my PO past 32 yards!!!

Good or bad??

Dewayne

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
If I were you DeWayne I'd aim for a 150yd point on with a 95# 58" bow. It might help the rest of us keep up with you

Seriously, as you know I'm no expert but most seem to have a PO around 45-55yds

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
All this RU talk is intriguing to me...I'm probably making the switch to RU next year but I have a really hard time getting my PO past 32 yards!!!

Good or bad??

Dewayne
If you are looking at string-walking IBO that's excellent. Reason being with a max yardage of 33 your point on there and your crawls for the shorter distances will be very compact so you won't have issues with tune.

But, if you are looking at Fita field you want to get your point on at least as far as the furthest target (gaping over sucks)

Matt

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dewayne,
For IBO a little lighter, shorter arrow would probably push your PO out to 40 yards or so. Tune for flight with a 25 yard crawl and you're set. Crawls will be compact and tune won't change much.

It's trickier when you try to set up a bow with a very long point on, say 60+ yards, and attempt to keep a decent tune at all distances.

Of course, in the barebow/RU classes you can face walk as well as string walk. With my ILF rig I can shoot my normal high anchor with fast, short arrows and have a 40 yard PO. I only have to crawl about 1" max to get down to 10 yards and flight is good. After that I can drop my anchor, push my PO out to about 60 and stay within the same crawl zone. The tune stays the same and I don't have to monkey around with string blur or plunger tension.

Something to think about...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Being that our maximum yardage is 33 then a PO of 32 I thought also would be good...at most IBO shoots we have very few less than 20 so I'm not worried much about the short shots...and I don't know if I would gap the short or string walk..

Dewayne

Reactions: kestimator
1 - 20 of 28 Posts