Trad Talk Forums banner

Stringwalking Point on distance trouble

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Drew B. 
#1 ·
Howdy, Im hoping to hear from stringwalkers about what I might be doing wrong that keeps me from getting my point on distance out past 35yrds with 3 under. I'm shooting an oly riser with medium #40 limbs and drawing 28". My main arrows are easton acc with shafts cut to 28". So at full draw the points are right at the edge of the riser. My knocking point is at 1/2" above center. I anchor with index in the corner of the mouth with thumb c behind the mandible. My accuracy and consistency have improved a ton since switching to stringwalking and I shoot good 20yrd scores for a beginner. But what i dont get is why my crawls are so short! With this draw weight and arrow length I should have a point on way past 50yrds but At 20yrds I only crawl about 3/4" and point on is 35yrds. I think my form is ok but im obviously missing something and cant think of it. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

#2 ·
I am a newbie to string walking also but like you I would think your point on should be in the 45+ yard range.

You might lower your nock point a little at a time.

Most likely not but your limbs may be on the slow side.

The guys in the know will be along shortly with some real help.

#11 ·
I am using 100grain points and the acc's are a pretty light fast arrow and they are cut as short as I can go. When I bareshaft test if i go to A lower knock point than I am now I get knock low flight with my mid distance anchor. I agree it must be my form. I have tried to break down the shot mechanics and have watched just about every video on youtube especially jimmy blackmon and all the WA field videos. Some do have a slightly lower anchor so maybe I should experiment with that. I have also though of having someone watch and asses my form because as far as i can tell I am fully expanded with proper back tension. My point on with split finger is about 70yrds if that is any indication.

#15 ·
I am using a cartel hunter rest which is a wrap around flipper rest. Could this type of rest lead to a low tragetory? My arrows are centered on the plunger and the rest is parralel to the shelf. The acc's are the 560 spine and I am using 2" low profile vanes. I took some shots with my samick journey which is also #40 and has a hoyt super rest mounted over the plunger hole and my point on was the same as my olympic recurve. I guess what I am wondering now is can A persons facial structure make enough difference to make a index corner of mouth anchor impractical for some people? I looked at my form in the mirror and I confirmed that I am drawing the bow fully.

#16 ·
ACC arrows are not light. They are 7.8 gr per inch. A lighter arrow will help, I shoot ACCs, 30.5" with 100 gr tips and WAV vanes (430 shafts) and lose about 10 yards point on between those and say my Black Eagle arrows. I still prefer my ACC's though

#18 ·
Lighter arrows.

If you are shooting well with a high anchor then work with it. You might want to shoot NFAA where it's an advantage.

#23 · (Edited)
Just an update for anyone who may find themselves with a similar challange, I seem to have found a solution for my short point on problem. It occured to me to kind of reverse engineer the process. I thought well I will find out what an average crawl is for my draw weight that achieves the point on I want, start shooting and see what type of anchor it takes for me to match the distance that they get. What I discovered is that I can solidly anchor with my thumb "c" behind my jaw and my index one finger below the corner of my mouth and it added 20yrds to my point on distance. So now I am at roughly 55yrds which still seems shorter than it should but is aceptable I think for field shooting. Also after looking at every picture I could find of international barebow field shooters I saw that this slightly lower hold is used by several men and women. So my conclusion for now is that my facial structure just isnt conducive to the more conventional anchor as far as longer point on is concerned.also I will look into what a "light" arrow means because I thought acc's were light! Anyways I'm more happy with where I am now and my accuracy seems to be unaffected and actually better at long distance since im nit holding over now. You guys are great, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.