Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you wise ones? Are there any significant disadvantages to a low anchor & SW other than the crawl being a lot longer than your tab?

Context is that I've been forced from a high anchor back to a low anchor d.t. a chronic thumb sprain (blame it on archery + rowing + snowboarding + XC skiing).

Currently it looks like the positives for the low anchor for me are that it's easier to hold the anchor with a high elbow & a DL decrease from 31->29" - negatives look to be adding 2.25" to my crawl & the need for a softer spine tuning.

Anything else to consider & any ideas about figuring crawls longer than a tab would be appreciated? Thx - M

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I think there are some advantages in a low anchor. I use a form trainer quite a bit. I get a better release from a low anchor. I get much more 'tell' from the fellow thru and much better bow reaction.

For some reason it even helps my bow arm. I think it puts things in a closer horizontal plane.

You may have to work with the 7 to 15 yards but you might come up with an aiming scheme to shorten the claws. A heavy riser like the Stolid Bull and super curve limbs with good torsional support help the close shots.

Edit: I am not one of the wise ones. It has taken me 40 years to figure it out and instill have a ways to go. It is getting easier though :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
A low anchor seems to play much better with a higher wrist grip. I find that my high anchor seems to prefer a low grip to keep the bow-arm shoulder down.
Keeping that bow-arm shoulder down seems to be critical to keeping it strong and relaxed for me.

-Grant

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
How low is low? I have always used a corner of the mouth anchor. I am just starting to stringwalk with a high anchor to help with the short shots. My high anchor is middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I am still working on finding the most comfortable and repeatable position.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I have been training on the form aid with this anchor.

It has tied a lot of things together for me and taken a lot of stress out of my shot

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I am having a hard tome getting my neck around far enough. This anchor moves the arrow around so I don't have to move my neck.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,381 Posts
New to this. Low anchor here too. String touches my nose and my index finger contacts my chin beneath the corner of my mouth. If my nose wasn't so big I'd get more DL. :)

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Tiller may need resetting too. Bareshafts will tell.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I sometimes use a low Olympic-style anchor and a two-thread-down-the-tab string walk when shooting out to 60 yards. Works. I go back and forth between that and an index-finger-to-corner-of-the-mouth anchor at that distance, where the center of the target is between the arrow point and the edge of the shelf.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
New to this. Low anchor here too. String touches my nose and my index finger contacts my chin beneath the corner of my mouth. If my nose wasn't so big I'd get more DL. :)
Last summer I shot a lot and my nose took a beating. I am gonna have to change something because I noticed busted veins on the right side of my nose appearing. The left side is clear so I am going to have to change around something to get the string completely away from nose.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Low anchor should have been clarified I realize - apologies for that - I meant oly anchor - sits about 2" lower on my face vs the finger at the eye tooth & so it adds that same amount to the crawl - M

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Reactions: rusty craine
1 - 12 of 12 Posts