Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I measured all my crawls after getting new arrows.

Last night I replaced a dodgy lower knocking point, waxed the string and added about 1 inch of center serving as the string was looking a bit worn.

I expected some slight changes in crawls, so I measured them again today.

There was a very significant change. The range of crawls had opened out. My 50m crawl reduced to what would have been 53m yesterday. My 10m crawl increased to what would have been less than 5m yesterday. I.e the spread of crawls increased at both ends.

Why? What drives this?

Are there things you can do to reduce the spread?

Thanks

Ado

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Could you have raised your NP inadvertently?

Or, if it was the nocking area you reserved, could you have altered the nock fit making it tighter?

Have you changed the BH when de-stringing and re-stringing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you have raised your NP inadvertently?

Or, if it was the nocking area you reserved, could you have altered the nock fit making it tighter?

Have you changed the BH when de-stringing and re-stringing?
I did raise the lower nock point by about 1mm as the gap between the NP's had increased fractionally since I last tied the NP's.

No, the nock fit was not altered at all and no, the bow remained strung between sessions.

Adam

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'm not a Stringwalker, but 1 MM change in nock point can change things a good bit, especially at 50 meters, I'm thinking...Jim

·
8,511 Posts
As Jim suggests, try changing your NH back. What arrow rest are you using as they can influence crawl compactness a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Jim suggests, try changing your NH back. What arrow rest are you using as they can influence crawl compactness a lot.
Thanks gentlemen......

My mid crawl tune is still good and I'm not particularly bothered by the change in crawls (though I guess a narrower spread would be best), it's more an inquiry as to how the change in spread of the crawls has occurred; what factors effect this and can we contol the spread to a degree?

Oh, I'm using a spigarelli ZT rest........

Ado

·
8,511 Posts
ZT is fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a Stringwalker, but 1 MM change in nock point can change things a good bit, especially at 50 meters, I'm thinking...Jim
Jim and Graysides.... An interesting thought springs from what you say...... Which nock controls the nock position primarily? Top or bottom? I only raised the bottom nock as it was looking a little crushed at its top and the gap between the nocks had opened up a little too far for my liking...... I am pretty certain there is sufficient gap to prevent nock pinch.

Ado

·
8,511 Posts
The top nock set keeps the arrow from running up the string as you draw. By the time you are at anchor the arrow is resting on the top of the bottom nock set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts