Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read several times the difference between non stretch strings seldom varies by more than 3-4 fps.
You guys that have shot them a chronograph is that a fairly accurate rule of thumb?

Jeffs post last week about strings got me to thinking about what would the difference be between an 8125g and a DF 97 so I ordered one from BW.

Not sure of their strand count though.
My 8125g is 15 per Jaco.

All thoughts and info welcome

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Dacron has a good bit of recoverable stretch/elasticity - no denying that. Even after 2 hours of 150 lbs and then relaxed, 150 lbs of force on a 14 strand B55 flemish stretches it almost 2 inches. 50 lbs stretches more than 1/2 an inch. Let the pressure off and it drop back to the original length almost immediately. Endless is a bit less.

Even the earliest dyneema/spectra materials have virtually no stretch/elasticity in the typical 1 to 5 seconds of (for the most part) less than 50 lbs of force put on it in the typical shot cycle. After conditioning at 300 lbs and relaxed, 50 lbs on my stretcher shows virtually no movement. Run it up to 300 lbs and I see the tiniest bit after 10 seconds or more. As far as I can tell, the elasticity measurements I've seen on string materials have all been done at 100 lbs of force for at least 10 seconds. Even at that, the differences are all but statistically irrelevant as they equal like the diameter of a human hair or 2.

Not even close to an engineer or even a good math student, but that's the way it appears to me on what little info anyone has put forth. I know of NO actual study done that has measured real world forces applied to a bowstring and it relationship to its effect on limbs/riser. At best I've seen is some opinions based on rough anecdotal observations. Would love to see these tests if they are out there and I missed them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That doesn't seem far off the mark assuming everything else is equal. I think how well the string is constructed makes a difference though. But the difference in how fast they strings fray and get fuzzy is huge between materials. The Fury string I have on my bow now still looks fairly new after 4 months of hunting and other strings I've used in the past would look like a cat played with them by this point!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the widow strings are 14 strand D97 so I wouldn't expect much in the fps department, but it may make a difference in sound.
I weighed my 15 strand 8125g and my BW D97 string today and was a little surprised
Both with one brass nock and one set of BW Spiders

8125g -132 grains
D97- 137 grains

Ever see the sun again going to run them thru the corny to see what happens.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another interesting think was I had tried tuning some on hand wood shafts to the Icarus
with the 8125g string and they shot very weak. 19 or so inches to the right and very
heavy nock left. Almost striking sideways at times.

I put the BW d97 string which had two BW spiders on the Icarus and the same arrow
consistently hit 7-8" right with nock left.

I then took one set of the Spiders off which weighed together 26.3 grains and the arrow
shot a lot weaker striking 12-15 right and heavy nock left.

Where is the sun when you need it.

As far as sound it's about a toss up really. But in all fairness with my hearing
I would probably think Jinks new longbow was quite. Lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just noticed your signature and spit coffee.. "For the shoots that don't allow recurve type risers" :lol: I'm dying here
Stay with us MoOse we don't want to loose you yet.

Yeap the Texas longbow championship and another longbow shoot in Ark.
They are others but I really want to shoot in them both this year.
Plus a good excuse to buy another bow. The truth will set me free.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
In general, with the HMPE materials, you're more likely to see a measurable and statistically significant difference between the 100% Dyneema materials and those that are Dyneema blended with something else such as Gore or Vectran.

Given equal string mass, same arrow mass etc etc, you might be able to measure 1-2 fps more from the straight Dyneema.

Beyond that, then it is a matter of things like shot feel, sound, strand counts and serving diameter to get a desired nock fit, etc etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.