Trad Talk Forums banner

Stringer advise for new longbow shooters

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  the other DWS 
#1 ·
My recurve stringer was not working as well as I liked for my longbow. It was not so bad for stringing, but the bow and string would catch tight on the loop when unstringing. I decided to try a tip to tip stringer. This is the ticket for a longbow. If you have made a recent change to longbow, like a few of us here, consider trying a tip to tip stringer.

#2 ·
Just make sure you match the cup to the tip of the limb nocks. Some stringers have a deep cup that will interfere with getting the string into the nock grooves in a straight and secure manner. This is a real problem when you have a bow that has very small tips ---- and it can be a problem with recurve limbs as well.

I have one stringer---forgotten the name---that is made of tough nylon strap material that has one deep pocket at one end. The other "working end" is "forked" into two straps a shorter one with a wider pocket and a longer one with a smaller shallower pocket. This has become pretty much my "go to" bow stringer and I hope that one of the Vendors at Comptons in June is carrying it since I'd like to get a couple more of them.
I have also used the cord and rubber block stringers successfully. But the blocks have to be matched to limb width to be safe. And since they depend on friction, the contact faces of the block and limb have to be clean and dry to function safely. they also tend to be a bit more bulky for pocket or quiver pouch carry.

#4 ·
I got this web stringer from Kustom King. I really prefer web stringers. That is what I use with my recurve. The nice thing about this stringer is that it has a double pockets on one side so that you can match your limb tip size. I am using the larger pocket with my Falco which has pretty small tips, so I imaging it can handle some really tiny tipped bows with the small pocket.

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Web-Ster-Bowstringer/productinfo/2302/

#6 ·
Hank,

I haven't bothered to use a stringer for my longbow, just between the legs and careful not to torque the limbs.

Alan

#8 ·
Hank,

I haven't bothered to use a stringer for my longbow, just between the legs and careful not to torque the limbs.

Alan
I like to play it safe and use a stringer. I think it is hard to tell whether you are twisting limbs. When you are pulling up with a stringer, it is probably hard to twist. My issue was always that it put stress on my back because I am tall. A good stringer helps.

#9 ·
Stringers are easy to make. My longbow had string nocks so close to the tips that the commercial stringer I had interfered with getting the string in the grooves.

I cut up a scrap of leather into a "T" shape and with a little pondering, found a way to punch holes so they all lined up to make a pocket with no sewing required. Looping a paracord up through the holes, through the folded leather and back down the holes pretty much duplicated my old stringer and I could control how deep to make the pockets.

Works great!

#10 ·
My longbows don't work well with a stringer with pockets on both ends. I modified my original stringer by running the cord through a triangular piece of rubber made from a sanding block and making a loop. You do have to keep the limbs clean as well as the rubber block but it's been working well for better than two years so far...

#14 ·
I continue to use the web stringer you sent with my HEX5's a few years back. I really like that stringer for my recurves. That is what I was using with my longbow. The tip to tip works a bit better for the longbow.

#13 ·
Push Pull. I dont use a stringer with longbows.

Typically longbow limbs are more narrow and thicker than recurves. I cant even manually twist my longbow limbs with my hands if I tried.
I admit I used to do that until one wet day when I saw a guys hand slip off the top limb and it came back whacking him in the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
The Kustom-King Web-Stringer is the one I referred to earlier.
The deep hooked 'curves can be problematic and even dangerous at heavy poundage as can the Asiatic style bows with siyiahs again higher poundage aggravates the problem.
When my 63# Saluki Scythian arrived I took one look and placed a call to Luc for directions on the proper Method of stringing.
For them I two-foot it with a carefully fitted rubber block stringer and carefully draw it up with my leg muscles holding it against my thighs to control it until the limb tips unroll.
I'd probably use a similar technique with any of the "super-recurves" but using the Web-Stringer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.