Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ponder different styles of shooting. String walking is not mentioned much here, mostly gapping. Is there a reason for this? While searching this I saw where some organizations do not allow stringwalking. Does IBO, ASA, local, etc allow this? Seems odd that any would ban it. If you know any good links or videos, old post or have any info, I would appreciate it

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Yes, you have to be good looking, highly intelligent, a private pilot's lic., ham radio lic. And two bachelor of science and one masters degree.

That and an OCD half wit.

No problem. If you are remotely sane you will not be included. then you have to be selected by the Witchery of Archery conventry and sworn never to divulge the true secrets.

That is about it

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I think a lot of people here do stringwalk, but you might not be hearing as much about it because it's not legal in many "trad" divisions of various governing bodies. For NFAA, for example, you have to shoot "barebow" to stringwalk, and that means you have to shoot against compound shooters. For FITA barebow shooting, everybody stringwalks. It depends a lot on the style of archery you want to do and the rules laid down by the governing body of each tournament.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking, if I stringwalked. My point on with a particular bow of mine with my arrow length is about 22 yards. So just guessing, 1/8 crawl for 20, and down. Then I would have to hold high over 22. What do guys then do for 30+?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you have to be good looking, highly intelligent, a private pilot's lic., ham radio lic. And two bachelor of science and one masters degree.

That and an OCD half wit.

No problem. If you are remotely sane you will not be included. then you have to be selected by the Witchery of Archery conventry and sworn never to divulge the true secrets.

That is about it
I will have to steal someones identity

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I was thinking, if I stringwalked. My point on with a particular bow of mine with my arrow length is about 22 yards. So just guessing, 1/8 crawl for 20, and down. Then I would have to hold high over 22. What do guys then do for 30+?
My stringwalking bow has a 55m point-on. I crawl for everything under that and hold high for anything over it. If I shot much at 70m I'd probably work out where my split fingered hold is.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Bows are like shoes. They gotta fit the feet and the occasion :)

-Grant

Reactions: Zulu

·
Spearhead
3,566 Posts
String walking is cheating ;-) joking and mostly poking at Rusty.

I honestly can't string walk or shoot 3 under, having the shaft around my eye freaks me out BAD. If I could I would like to sw, but when you duck directly after you release the arrow isn't good.

A lot on tradtalk sw, locally it's not permitted by rules but don't think anyone locally would fuss if you did. Bigger shoots not sure?

Chad

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
TT is the best forum for stringwalking I've found.

It's all in the records, just search............. and hope the best threads haven't been disappeared, as some have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm guessing you're Middle School, with a lightish poundage. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to change anchor with stringwalking. In fact I think you're pretty much allowed to do anything. So if at the moment you're getting point on at 22 yds, and if you're using a corner mouth anchor with a three under tab, then you can easily go further with dropping to a target recurve under-the-chin anchor. If you want to go further then you can use a split-finger tab as well. If you want to go extreme distance there is an old medieval chest anchor! Have fun.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm guessing you're Middle School, with a lightish poundage. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to change anchor with stringwalking. In fact I think you're pretty much allowed to do anything. So if at the moment you're getting point on at 22 yds, and if you're using a corner mouth anchor with a three under tab, then you can easily go further with dropping to a target recurve under-the-chin anchor. If you want to go further then you can use a split-finger tab as well. If you want to go extreme distance there is an old medieval chest anchor! Have fun.
Elementry, 53 lbs

·
EastOutfitters
34 Posts
I stringwalked back in the pre compound days, used a split tab, and differnt anchor points. Found that a split tab made it easier to count how much below the arrow to hold on the shorter shots, shot split finger, 3 under and an under the chin anchor for the longer shots, had a hold for every shot on a field course.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
If you've 53# OTF and a PO of 22 yards something is amiss.

Use a corner of the mouth anchor, arrow rest and carbon arrows. Your PO should be ............... Mars.

Reactions: rsarns

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Wouldn't point-on distance depend heavily on arrow length and where one anchors? If you had a very long arrow (or just a short draw) and anchored very high on the face, you would effectively have a short point-on distance. When I transitioned over to trad from Olympic recurve, my point-on was around 65yards as I used an under-the-chin split-finger anchor. Changing to 3-under and anchoring at corner of mouth with index finger dropped that to 40 yards. Using middle finger at corner of mouth and that drops another 5 yards. I suppose I am more of a facewalker than a stringwalker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.