Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I am a complete beginner when it comes to string walking. But what better place to ask?

I am shooting 3 under, TT Titan with 40 lb. limbs, bolts at 4 turns out and I draw just over 29 inches. I am shooting woodies, 520 grains.

What would be a good crawl for 20 yards? I though that I would start there to get a feel for it. Most of my shots are in the 20 yard range. Maybe I could combine string walking with gap? Get my crawl set at 20 yards and then adjust my point of aim up or down according to where I was relative to the target - say from 15 to about 30 yards.

Thanks all!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Blinky,

There are many variables that go into your gap. You just need to experiment.

Combining stringwalking and pick-a-point works great when shooting targets of known and consistent size (i.e. target shooting). I often set crawls off the bottom of the paper to make them shorter and more forgiving. You could probably stringwalk and gap for 3D. I do not think it would be as good as having a fixed point on the target.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Really depends on your current POD. Chances are with heavy woodies you might find that stringwalking doesn't require much crawl at all.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Depends on the length of your arrow and your anchor point. I tune my hunting bows for a 5/8" crawl at 18yards. So that is to say you can tune your gap within reason and limb performance.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for. I will try 3/4 in. between the bottom of the nock and my top finger.
Blinky, I usually start calibrating a bow by taking a standard crawl, like 1 inch, and blank bale. I figure out where I need to point to put the arrow in the center of the butt. I do not try to calibrate crawls until I am comfortable shooting my standard crawl. There is a lot of feel involved. Once I get the feel, I figure out what distance my standard crawl gives me. I shoot that distance until I am comfortable with a target. Then I start to move up and down distances. All the while, I am focused on the execution of my form. Stringwalking will punish you for form breaks.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
LOL, I'm not good precise enough to count strands and I use stringwalking primarily for hunting so I don't feel the need for tournament precision. I found that a 20 yard crawl corresponded exactly with the gap between my top two fingers when placed on my normal "touching the nock" hold. Perfect, I don't even have to look. Every 5 yards further from there was approximately 1/4" up out to my 40 yard point on...

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
LOL, I'm not good precise enough to count strands and I use stringwalking primarily for hunting so I don't feel the need for tournament precision. I found that a 20 yard crawl corresponded exactly with the gap between my top two fingers when placed on my normal "touching the nock" hold. Perfect, I don't even have to look. Every 5 yards further from there was approximately 1/4" up out to my 40 yard point on...
That ain't working that's the way you do it,
Money for nothing and chicks for free..... dire straits :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts