1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archery World Magazine
June 1968

Dear Tom

I read what Frank Mederious wrote in March Archery World about placing string walkers in "what class". I don't agree at all that a string walker is just improving his game. That's what the free style said when the sights started to appear, we are just trying to improve our score. If they have a mark on the bow, or on the string, or on the tab, to me they are sight shooters. if they consider themselves instnctive or bare bow shooters, they are just as crooked as some lawyers who use all sorts of loop hole tricks to win a case.
I say, either stay bare bow all the way or put a sight on and at least shoot honestly. With all these people trying to get higher and higher scores, what are they gong to do when they get to the top? Most true bare bow shooters if they lose can still smile and shake the winners hand, however, take most free style and all they do is grumble that they're freezing cold or someone made a noise or the targets weren't the same or some other crazy excuse. It's never them. I am a free style shooter, but I can win or lose. I down't have to have a nervous breakdown if I lose. I don't have any enemies either. I'm not a 300 shooter but I can shoot a mean 295 that's good enough for this redhead. I would like to hear what more readers have to say on this free style vs. bare bow vs. string walker bit ..I've shot with them all. I still say if you've got a mark on your string or a mark on your bow your free style

Frieda M. Fennel
Minot
N Dakota

Reactions: Tom M and Rasyad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Great letter. I love the guys frank approach. I am really torn I shoot better with my sight, plain and simple. Also like the strangeness of stringwalking. At least now with a low anchor my form remains the same.

Rasyad

·
Registered
638 Posts
Stringwalking.

As defined in my Big Book of Toxophily,

"It's an Apache Hold With Texas Crosshairs"

What's not to understand ???

:eek:

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting, I like to think of it as being that barebow is a reference to the bow, as in bare, and string walking, gap and instinctive is the aiming method . We run a field comp here sometimes when the divisions are simply compound, freestyle recurve, barebow recurve and longbow and you can use any aiming method you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.