Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd try the silencer suggestion I had been seeing a bit on the web. I picked up some spinnerbait skirting material at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day in flo green and flo orange to match a naked 12 strand 8125 string I had at home.

I strung up my newest-to-me DAS (Gen II with 48# Winex mediums making 60# at my DL-29 1/2") and marked the 1/4 and 1/3 points. I cut four strips of skirting (which is about 1" wide on the roll) at 1 1/2" long. Stacked em in twos and tied the doubled up chunks on at the 1/4 points. Shot it some and....to my amazement really.....it made the bow pretty dang quiet...I mean hunting quiet. Now I have used Catwhiskers as much as the next guy all my life, but this skirting seems lighter and certainly appears to do a better job of silencing. So that was cool...but...

Here's the weird part. I cut up the same four chunks outa the other color and put em on at the 1/3 points. It made the bow EVEN QUIETER....I mean longbow quiet this time! This is after replacing the super wooly DAS silenced string with this piece of piano wire with a little rubber on it....nothing in the string slap region at all!!

It gets weirder...and not all good. The problem with the 1/3 point silencers is that right after I put them on, I hit my forearm EVERY TIME! I mean I was turning my elbow out almost grotesquely and still at least buzzing myself.

Now I know for a fact that the string as a whole doesn't weigh as much as the DAS wooly string (I weighed em) so I can't see it being an overall weight issue. Maybe just the placement of that weight relative to the center of the string? Could it be causing that much wild oscillation by adding those 1/3 point silencers?

Anyone have any ideas?

-Rob

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't have the chrony set up but I could tell I was faster than the old wooly because the new string made my arrows act weak...quite a little bit weak. I'll try to get some pics up later, but they're really just nice little catwhisker-ish balls of bright rubber. I could see where a guy could go crazy with the millions of colors (hmmm...sparkles?) that this stuff comes in.
-Rob

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
ROB TAYLOR said:
I could see where a guy could go crazy with the millions of colors (hmmm...sparkles?) that this stuff comes in.
-Rob
Yip...that sounds like fun...lol! I want to see how you're tying your whiskers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's really a super simple method....

I think I'll cut these ones off and put fours new sets on using a SINGLE layer of skirting...that way all four puffs will weigh the same as a pair of puffs in the current configuration. I'll snap a couple pics as well.

-Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts