Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add string silencers to a Pittsley Predator bow and began to think: Why do I need them? The bow is quite, do I get any benefit by adding string silencers.

thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well it is known that they slow down the shot a tad, if speed is of concern to you and as you say the bow is silent enough then don't worry over it.
However to me the silencers add a bit of flair and my bow without them is a bit on the noisey side. No big deal when target shooting but when hunting.....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Well Doug, I've a good friend in W.Texas who tells me that Texas deer make the ones in the rest of the country appear to be on depressants! Meaning that your deer are mighty skiddish. The question I'd be asking myself is whether there's gonna be a difference in your deer and the potential for getting a shot with them on the string....

All this assumes that you are a bowhunter... Can't find a reason to have to sneak up on a bullseye. :)

Tom

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
If they don't make it "quieter" then I'd leave them off. There are vaying degrees of effectiveness in these products, and the old catwiskers style work very well for me; as far as silence goes, I can't get enough...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried most silencer materials, from wool yarn to cat whiskers, to beaver and otter fur. They all work to a degree, but by far the best for me are the simple felt discs from

www.twotracksbow.com

They are very quick to install and position, stable, last a long time and really quiet the bow.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
If you do not notice any decrease in noise levels when using string silencers, then I would agree with the others and say take them off. I do not use any silencing equipment on my target bows - noise isn't an issue in spot shooting and it is better to tune a bow to be quieter than to simply mask it with rubber doodads.

My favorite for my hunting bow is the cat whiskers. Can take a bit of trial and error to get the perfect little koosh ball on your string, but once you get the hang of it, they go on easily and are very durable.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Dynapuffs. Contact Rasyad on this board about them.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hi Doug,

One of the advantages of using silencers on a traditional recurve like your Pretsley Predator is the ability to fine tune. Adding any kind of string silencer will slow down the bow as will changing arrow or string weight. Dynapuffs are one of the lightest silencers made and are designed to slide on the string so you can position them as needed. Move the Dynapuffs toward the center of the string and the bow slows down more, toward the tips and the bow speeds up. On my 68" bow it seems like I can move bareshaft arrow impact 2-3 inches stiff or week depending how the silencers are positioned.

Rasyad

Reactions: Blinky

·
Registered
959 Posts
So, string silencers not only quiet the bow, they can be used to tune it. So much great information on this forum. Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts