Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As he usually does, O.L got me thinking...

I know David has done some pretty extensive testing with string silencers and I'm sure given the time he'd like to do more....and I believe he's settled on wool puffs (light) in something similar to a 1/3...1/3 arrangement on the string...two sets...and hopefully he'll chime in here...becuase I've heard nothing but great things about how quiet his DAS bows are...

But, if as O.L pointed out on another post, 50 grns at the tips is the equivalent of 15 grains at the nock, wouldn't it make sense to take full advantage of a heavier silencing material as close to the nocks as possible, then...if needed...add a lighter silencing material lower on the string?

I know I tend to like the effect I get with a smaller set of cat whiskers up towards the tips and a thicker set down near the nock, and now I realize that's completely backwards...and the reason it's probably so effective is I'm robbing myself of arrow speed...not the first, or the last time I'll get things backwards in this sport...lol...

Anyone messed with something heavier, like string leeches, up high and a set of wool puffs...or another lighter material, lower on the string?

Also, I know most 'curve guys tend to use two sets...is there any advantage to using two sets on a LB versus one heavier/thicker set?

Three decreasingly sized sets on a 'curve? Never seen that done and I'm assuming it's partially because it would look bad...

One of those areas that doesn't seem discussed here that often beyond the basics. But as far as I'm conserned, for hunting you can never get too quiet.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I guess I've done my compromising a little differently. I take strips of sheerling, I've cut to 1/4" x 8" and place them roughly at the 1/4 mark. Then I've settled on an arrow weight that in combination with the heavier balls keeps it pretty quiet. Seems to work as many have remarked at the quietness of my bows.

Tom

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
When I use string silencers, I place one at 1/4 of the distance from the bottom limb tip and the other 1/3 of the distance from the top limb tip, as it seems to me those two spots would be where most of the harmonics of the string originate.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Atlantis, better quit that thinking, it'll get you in trouble! :) It does me...

It makes sense to use the least amount of material at the place that will do the most good. Acousticly the highest amplitude will be the second harmonic and it will peak at the 1/4 points, the next in amplitude is the third and will occure at the 1/3 points. You can hold a bow in front of a TV screen and pluck it a little and with the strobe effect you can "see" these peaks. Single silencers at the 1/4 points is good enough for me but I've been around too many jet engines! :).....O.L.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I sometimes use one and sometimes two sets. I don't hear any difference between one and two but, then again, I don't hear well to begin with!
I really like my homemade woolies made using Canadian wool. I doubt that they're any better than synthetic or other wools, but they really last and are only about $1 a set.
Jim

:)

·
Banned
291 Posts
O.L. Adcock said:
. Single silencers at the 1/4 points is good enough for me but I've been around too many jet engines! :).....O.L.
HUH ? WHAT ? I shot trap & skeet as a kid, then in college, as well as rifles, pistols, all without ear muffs or silencers, who knew? You will have to speak up or write in capitals.:lol: Thanks, Bill G.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Atlantis,
You are exactly right, and that is the reason I use two silencers instead of one at each end. I get similar silencing with a lower hit on speed by using that scheme. It's hard to see on the picture, but if you look at the bow on my website, the silencers nearer the arrow are in fact smaller. It may not look that way on all the strings, but the weight at that point is certainly less. I get lambasted all the time by the anti-metal guys who say "look, he needs 4 silencers to quiet that thing" LOL. In fact, I only lose 3 to 4 fps with that set-up, and have an ultra quiet bow, because there is the right amount of material in the right locations.

I don't make the woolies anymore because I don't have time, but wool is still the best silencing material I've found. One of the sheep I used was also named "lucky" :) . Much of the white color is actually lucky wool, for a little added mojo.

david

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DAS, do you have any knowledge of synthetic materials that might be of use for silencing? I keep seeing how Nomex is great at killing sound and thought it would be cool to have "heat shrink" silencers utalizing nomex fiber puffs...I've tried fleece and it was effective but NOT DURABLE, little heavy too...

Do you treat your wool with some kind of waterproofing? You do live in Oregon after all...? I couldn't stand wool puffs in the past because I'd get 'em wet just from the morning dew on the pines/willows...hate that spray of water off the string on a shot...not to mention the extra weight ruining your tune...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Atlantis,
I don't know about synthetics, The problem is that shock from the string really makes it hard for most fibers to stay in the puff. Wool has some characteristics that are very hard to beat. The wool I used was right off the sheep and rich in lanolin. It takes a lot of water to get it wet. You can get additional waterproofing by using a DWR type spray (not silicone). The DWR sprays are teflon based. Yep, I'm in Oregon, but not in the wet part :) had my fill of that. Where I live is high desert and mountains.

David

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like wool best of everything I have tried.I put the silencers as close to the tips as I can and still have them work ok.I stick them in the string and keep sliding them toward the tips as I am shooting.When it starts getting noisy I back down a bit and leave them there.Not very scientific but works well enough. :) On recurves they seem to work better when split into two like David does his.The farther from the arrow you can keep them the least effect they have on performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts