Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. We all know that everyone has a personal "formula" for placing string silencers on longbows and recurves. And everyone also knows that it is often an inexact science of trial-and-error.

But here my proposal: I would like to begin a thread about silencer placement that embodies not only the anecdotal evidence and experiences folks have, but also some discussion about why silencers should be placed where they are to provide the greatest noise dampening effects on the string. And any other related information about silencers -- material, attachment, etc.

My hope is that this thread can provide a comprehensive contribution that folks can use as a reference in the future -- it would be nice to have it added to everyone's favorite thread list, or even make it to the TT reference "hall of fame."

Looking forward to your contributions!
Trillium

·
Bart Harmeling
3,517 Posts
Generally I've done the same as Coodster, but recently, after a follow up post by Rasyad, I've set up one of my bows like this with a dynapuff positioned just in front of the contact point. (64" bow) This position dampens string sound very well and least affects loss in string speed as it is closer to the tips. I've not had any string slap noise, but this placement may help on bows that do. Nice thing about these dynapuffs is they can easily be moved on the string so one can experiment with different locations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts