Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acknowledging that not all strings / silencers / limbs are created equal, is there some basic rule of thumb out there defining the impact to speed adding silencers to a string would have?

Assuming standard mass weight silencer materials added to high performance limbs / set ups?

Is it 5fps, 10, 20?

You know what they say... Curiosity killed the speed...

·
Arcus Nuda
2,306 Posts
Frankly in my opinion too many people get so caught up in speed that they forget that speed doesn't win tournaments for everyone. Speed also isn't the determining factor in killing an animal either. I put 4 spider silencers in my string to make my bow quiet. It's still at 190fps which is plenty for anything in my book.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would say the average woolie silencer may slow the speed a few FPS. I actually have been borderline on spine with some set-up being a tad weak in spine, I add a few silencers and it helps me get the spine right. I hunt so a quiet bow is way more important than a fast bow. Shawn

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
There's no "one size fits all" answer, or even close. Primarily depends on the silencer weight (type of silencer and amount--most use way too much rather than tune to see where it needs to be on the string), where it's at on the string, and the individual bow.

Reactions: Steve and Harpman

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
When i got my BF Extreme limbs I chronoed with out silencers , then added 2 super String Leeches. I lost 1 fps
Question...when you shot the BF Exremes with a bare string, did you find them to be quiet, average, or loud?...Those limbs are popular with a few folks for a hunting limb, as I understand it, but the Target version of them seems to have a sharp report, like a muffled "Poink!" Sound...Just was wondering...I have a set of regular old Samick Extremes, though, and they are pretty quiet...And make real good arrow speed.....Jim

·
straight arrow
612 Posts
I didn't think to add more silencers to mine. With the standard two beaver balls it sounds like a rifle going off when I release. I'll try adding more.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We need to get Jinkster to chrono some: a bow shot without silencers, same bow/arrow with woolies, with cat whiskers, with BW spiders, with two pairs of wool balls, with beaver fur pieces...

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
It might be obvious but if you need them you need them so loss of a few fps is the price to pay.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I like quiet bows, so I use what I need to hush things down to my liking. Usually a set of Dyneema puffs and limbsavers does the job well, along with a sufficiently heavy arrow. I'd rather lose a few FPS and have a quiet bow. Not like the animal is going to outrun the arrow or anything.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This question is more regarding competition rigs. I go to endless lengths to get my hunting rigs sniper quiet. Whatever it takes, with no regard to speed. (I'm shooting 12 to 14 gpp on my hunting rigs, so you can tell I don't take speed into account for hunting rigs ;) )

However on my competition rigs, foam doesn't jump my string. It's stays still while my arrow is going there ;) So, I don't really mind how loud my competition bow is, buuuut....

I ask this mainly for two reasons:

1. I like the idea of adding silencers to my competition bow for the micro-tuning adjustability you get. It just gives you another variable to tweak to bring your arrow or bow tune into exactly how you like it.

2. My competition bow is really really loud. Mainly from large crawls and out of whack tiller, etc etc. I'm working on that stuff to quiet it down, however, people are starting to not set their targets up next to me in our weekly indoor league because my bow noise messes with them. I find it quite funny, and we joke about it, but never-the-less, I don't want to mess with people if my bow noise gets to them mentally.

Anyhow, I've added some cat whiskers, and have done some blank baling in my basement. I like the shot reaction I am getting with the bow, but have not evaluated the speed impact at distance yet.

Either way, its a good discussion to have. Would like to see someone with a chrono run some experiments with different silencers / materials / etc.

Thanks guys,
Matt

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quiet bows are a interesting topic, certainly for hunters. I don't hunt but still prefer a silent bow if possible at all except for my stringwalking bows, don't care if they sound like a gun.

But, at a field shoot last year a guy was warming up next to me, stringwalking and his bow was almost as silent as a Black Widow shot with 15 gpp arrows. I didn't get the chance to speak to him but as I found out later he was shooting one of this expensive italian risers filled with oil or liquid of some kind, forgot the manufacturer's name.

I don't know if the riser was responsible for the silent bow, maybe his super precise tuned setup, the string, perhaps a bit of everything.
This encounter changed my attitude (stringwalking needs to be noisy) a little and apart from a well tuned bow I am going to try a few things getting my rigs a bit more quiet. Maybe felt pads at the string grooves, different string material, playing around with tiller...

This was a little off topic, sorry folks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know what your saying matt, i was shooting my gillo with border limbs last weeknd and my buddys told me my bow was loud. I was string walking too, they dont understand but everytime i shoot I feel like my bow is going to explode. So just this week i put some felt on limb pockets and limbs and ordered two new strings one with cat whiskers and one without. I currently have a 60X string on now, nice string dont get me wrong but really skinny going to try my go to string guy from tradgang allen and try some fury material. I hope it works out. I might even try some heavier arrows. I wished you lived closer matt need some help with this ILF stuff, I like it just alot more stuff going on and more things to tinker with lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What about limbsavers? Do they affect speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as you're putting the limbsavers on the non-working part the limb you shouldn't see much if any loss in speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts