Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a string silencer that I dont have to tie in the string. Does anyone make these?

Also, I noticed that I have 2 threads that are cut, well, looks like they are. One is near the top and one is near the bottom. Do you think she is still safe to shoot?

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you mean that you have two strands cut in your string, it's probably a good idea to replace it ASAP. You've probably noticed some stretching and loss of brace height if that's the case. For silencers, the easiest is probably cat whiskers tied around the string. Next, I'd vote for Woolie Whispers. If your string has enough twists in it, you don't need to tie them in. I just seperate the string, stick the Woolie Whisper in between the strands, and brace the bow. I haven't had one come loose yet. PapaBull also sells Mountain Muffler strings in the TradTalk store that already have silencers installed. They do a better job quieting down a bow than anything else I know of.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh yeah, if those two threads you're talking about are close to the top and bottom, and you haven't noticed a loss of brace height, they're probably just the tag ends that are woven back into the string from the end loops. If that's the case, you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, this is on an older compound. I think I may replace the string to be on the safe side. Also, I am looking for silencers that dont need to be placed "in" the string.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Alright, then rubber "cat whiskers" will be the easiest. Just take one of the rubber strips, loop it around the string, and tie it in a knot. Pull the ends, cut about 1/2" off with scissors while it's under tension, and it will fray out. Repeat for the other cat whisker. If you're going to get the string replaced, they can install any silencers you want while they're putting the new string on. Since it's on a compound, I'm assuming that means it's an endless string. If there are any loose ends of string poking out, then you need to replace it. You might want to just take it to a bowshop and let them look at it... There are more knowledgeable people than me around here, hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

·
X-terminator
659 Posts
Stringjax:

Ultrajax I & II install on the outside of the string. Ultrajax I install with zip ties. Ultrajax II slip onto the string like an eliminator button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts