Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got 2 cents on string material and number of strands for a Border Black Douglas 64" Hex 6 Limb Bow?

60# Draw weight.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've been using 8190/18 strand (Hex 6 limbs, but not on the Black Douglas riser). Good stuff. It's thin, I think 24 strands equals 18 strands of 8125, and incredibly strong so you can get by with even fewer strands if you want faster string.

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next Question: I am not a string maker. Who makes strings out of 8190?

And? Endless Loop or Flemish Twist?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Next Question: I am not a string maker. Who makes strings out of 8190?

And? Endless Loop or Flemish Twist?
Pretty sure that Chad over on AT makes 8190 strings.

Endless or Flemish is a personal choice. I make my own endless strings out of 8190 for my barebow, but I prefer flemish twist strings for my hunting bows. I think they look nicer. All of my flemish strings have been made by Rick Barbee. Rick only uses Brownell string material. The strings I have received from Rick are all made with Rhino material, and they are absolutely bombproof. The build quality and durability are fantastic with Ricks strings.

Oh, on the 8190 strings……I make mine with 16 strands, which is enough to double as a tow rope in case you get stuck in a ditch, and center serve with .025 diameter 62XS. This combo gives me the nock fit I prefer for .098 nocks without having to pad the string at all.

If you are in the market for a flemish string, I would not hesitate to give Mr. Barbee a try.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Chad uses BCY and does a great job.

Champion Bowstrings

I would not hesitate to try the Rhino and Rick Barbee from everything I have ever heard does a great job and is a great guy to boot :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
For a lighter pair of Hex6 and 66" black Douglas I had some decent Flemish strings for £20 each in 8125 18 strand from Twisted Strings, Ryan Jeavons (in UK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my bcy-x last week 20 strand for my hex 5s from Chad. Great string, and great fella to do business with. Entertained all my questions.
What serving material?
What size serving?
Did you need to tell him the loop size?
Anything else I need to ask or tell him?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.