Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to accumulate strings.
I now have a varirty of strings for a 60" recurve. After shooting one for a month or so, I switch to another.
At this rate, will properly maintained strings made with modern materials
ever wear out?
Jim

:thankyou:

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Modern string materials are amazingly strong and durable. I've had dacron strings that lasted through several years of regular marathon shooting sessions. I've never yet had a D97 string wear out but on bows I shoot regularly, I'm constantly tweaking, changing strings, seeking improvement etc so I just don't shoot one string very much any more.

Avoiding excessive exposure to UV rays will always increase the life of a string but D97 hasn't been out long enough for anyone to know exactly how long it's actual useful life is, in my opinion. The stuff will probably still be serviceable when archeologists dig my bows out of the ground.

:2cents:

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
How many twists are generally accepted to be best when it comes to flemish twist strings?
Like ____ twists for every 10" of string or what?

When I count mine, it usually ends up about 25-30 twists (color bands on a 2-bundle) per 10" of string. Seems like I'm pretty much twisting them to their max. Maybe I should start out my bundle lengths at least 1" shorter for the same length string and it wouldn't have so much twist.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I have no idea of what is correct but the ones I have on the last few have about 16 to 18 twist in that 10" length.I have some with many twist but now on bows that have narrow tips I just use the next size shorter setting on my jig and start my twisting 7" from the end of the bundle instead of 8" like I normally would.The loops are so small I don't need as much string.On some of my longbows the top loop might only be the size of a dime but the limbs and tips are so small it will still slide down the limb when you unstring the bow.If I used the regular setting the string would be so twisted it would be knotting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts