Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been shooting compounds, but recently got myself a new recurve. Problem is I'm constantly hitting my nose with the string. Mostly used 3 under for gapping but also tried split finger, but problem persists. Anyone out there have a remedy. Bow is 64" recurve. Never had this with compound. Thanks

·
赛
614 Posts
No big deal . . .

After a while you'll look like a true single-stringer.

Whatever you do, don't take up stringwalking. And don't ask.

:cool:

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You must be shooting with your bow arm in line with your shoulders.

Swing it a bit towards your front.

With compounds, you are really holding a "Kid's bow" weight, whereas with the recurve, you are holding a "man's weight".

I surmise you are shooting in line with your shoulders to compensate for the extra holding weight.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Take a step forward with your back foot, and open your stance a little. Sometimes that'll give a little extra clearance. I hit mine sometimes too but it's usually on my best shots and they don't happen that often.....

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
As long rifle has noted, correction is a fairly simply matter of adjustment of form… Tilt and/or turn slightly your head and then bale shoot for a while to get the "new form" well engrained in your sub conscience. All the best.

Tom

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I feel your pain...literally, and I don't have an answer for you.

I don't hit my nose shooting split finger, but I've never been able to shoot three under without nasal abrasion. I don't know why it's different, wish I did though. There's a lot I like about split finger and I've been shooting that way for close to 50 years now, but there's obviously a lot to say for three under or all the guys winning the big shoots wouldn't be shooting that way.

I don't even want to think about string walking, I'd probably rip my ear off...;)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
For me it's a question of getting my head tilted correctly. I can shoot any foot stance I want without effect, it's all about the tilt.

-Grant

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Until you get the problem sorted use tied thread nock locators rather than brass and use some tape on your nose.
Other than the causes already mentioned I find it can happen from stiff fingers (first few ends of the session), poorly tuned arrows (too weak, I think) or an anchor point slightly too far back (go forward one-tooths-worth).

Reactions: ArrowCrazy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Make sure you're not trying to lengthen your draw length by twisting your head into the string....

If that's not the case just buy the thickest blaze white tape you can find and show up at all the IBO shoots and everybody will think you know what you're doing....whether you do or not!!

Dewayne

Reactions: Demmer

·
Super Moderator
2,644 Posts
It comes and goes. Don't know why. The nose doesn't wear away. I tried that. It grows back, bigger as you age. I haven't had a problem in several years, but it came back today. I still had a couple of bandaids in my wallet. It helps to put on thin tied on nock sets- and melt and smooth down the tag ends. Or make a really little one from dental floss. It may not cure the problem but it will hurt less. Try a different tab.

You could try adjusting your head position a bit but don't screw up your form. Better to wait til it passes. - lbg

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I have busted veins on the right side of my nose from years of shooting and plan on changing anchors or whatever to get away from it this spring. I am tired of it and am going to completely change my system to correct it.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Try a different tab.
That reminds me..... the string leaf of my leather tab has been stretched at the forefinger tip out of it's original outline. I trimmed that back recently and it seems to have helped.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
For me it's what Dewayne said if I rotate my head into my expansion it gets bloody fast. Concentrate on keeping your head still through the shot process.

Also know that your not alone most guys go through this. Some are just a little slower than others at correcting it ;-)

Matt

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Also know that your not alone most guys go through this. Some are just a little slower than others at correcting it ;-)

Matt[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some people wear it like a badge of honor!!

Dewayne

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
For me it's what Dewayne said if I rotate my head into my expansion it gets bloody fast. Concentrate on keeping your head still through the shot process.

Matt
Or how big your beak is?:p

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I've just been through this, again. It really pi**es you off but the guys are right, it normally comes from either over drawing or turning your head into the string. I got some advice from 2 great guys and just grinded it out on the bale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I've just been through this, again. It really pi**es you off but the guys are right, it normally comes from either over drawing or turning your head into the string. I got some advice from 2 great guys and just grinded it out on the bale.

Thanks Jon and I think you are right. Here is a weird deal,,put together myself a 62 inch bow on a riser with lots of preload and a short BH,,shot this morning and no nose hits?

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Thanks Jon and I think you are right. Here is a weird deal,,put together myself a 62 inch bow on a riser with lots of preload and a short BH,,shot this morning and no nose hits?
Sometimes I wonder if bow length and string angle can factor in on this too Sam.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts