Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I do have a fairly big nose but not huge. :) I have been at this trad. archery thing for two decades. Every now and then I go through a spell of hitting my nose with the string. I do not do it all the time or often but when I do it hurts and puzzles me as to why all of a sudden I am hitting my nose again. I know it is a form issue; I think?? What do you guys think? FWIW, I got a buddy who also suffers from the same ill after over 20+ years at this. What's the deal here? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Well....the simple answer is that your nose is in the way. The solution is to move it out of the way. Not trying to be cute. Change your head position until it doesn't happen and discipline yourself to keep it that way.

Generally speaking, erect torso posture and good back tension will eliminate this issue. Slouching will exacerbate it - you wind up leaning in to get over the arrow instead of bringing it to the eye with good form.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Hey Mark, did you change from a glove to a Tab?
I did, and had to change my form slightly by keeping my head erect, more upright posture, and utilise the T structure by straightning out my back.
The scrunched over stance that a lot of us was instructed with in the "Instinctive shooting books and videos" by those who really Pooched us with the snap shooting techniques can be attributed to this very weak type of posture and shortend the draw too much.
Do you wear an armguard? If not, this may be why you lean your head over too much.
The scrunched over and out of line drawing hand caused me alot of problems, not just the string hitting my nose.
It totally blows any chance of useing back tension and is codusive to "plucking" the string outward, which not only causes eratic groups but tosses out any uniformity in your form.
I wish I would have never watched Paul Brunner and Fred Asbells videos!
I like both men alot, but think they have destroyed many otherwise "good shots" and really screwed up a lot of people by introducing this terrible form and shooting technique.
It causes Target panic and many other flaws in the form, along with a wrong way of aimming, which is too: Rely on ones instincts to shoot, instead of relying on ones form to bulid the shot into a platform to actually begin aiming.
"Spray and Pray" sorta thing!
Stand more upright and T off with your upper body which will enable you to have your head more erect. Yeah I know, might have given stuff which does not apply to you at all, but maybe some one else. Hope I"VE HELPED.

·
Registered
352 Posts
2 things will get my snout in the string:

1. Over drawing without changing anchor, causing my head to turn away from the target.

2. Shooting with my chin too high.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I can shoot split finger without hitting my nose. If I shoot 3 under, I look like Rudolph. I can't shoot 3 under because of hitting my nose.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Well you are in good company I think. One of the best shots in Texas has to ware a piece of tape on his nose to keep it from getting raw. ah and he has the scores to prove it thanks to the tape not the sores :)

rusty

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Hey Rusty do you think this nose thing is caused by how people hold to get the arrow under thier eye in many cases that doesn"t change with form mods?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ifish nailed it for me:

1. Over drawing without changing anchor, causing my head to turn away from the target.

crunch

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks men! I will work on my form. I am NOT and Asbell devotee; In fact I have been denouncing that crap for many years and have often been pretty unpopular for speaking out against it. I will work on back tension and getting my chin down and my nose out of the way. I shoot three under. It sounds like I may be overdrawing and turning my head into the string. I just dropped down in bow weight last year from 62 pounds to 58 so I might be overdrawing and turning my head into the string. It does not happen often but I do hate it when it does! :) thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
387 Posts
iI'VE BEEN HITTING MY NOSE FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS, BUT I'VE BEEN HITTING WHERE I'VE BEEN AIMING, SO I KEEP ON DOING IT . I'M NOT CHANGING ANYTHING. ROUND BANDAIDS ARE CHEAP.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would have to second what Seven said.

I had a similar issue and changed my form to work better and be more repeatable. At first your scores will probably drop. I would suggest doing it without a target on a blank bale until it is ingrained in and then retrain for the slightly new sight picture.

Rich

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
draw to an molar tooth, plant your touch. now rotate your nose toward the string, keeping good back pressure. your draw will increase without moving your anchor touch. your nose will get in the way.

if your rest, arrow, eye and drawing elbow are all close to the same line and ya hit your nose........ware a bandaide. I think that is where ya need to be for your build. if your rest arrow, eye and drawing elbow are not in a line (or close) try to get them there and see if ya shoot better

(well sumpin like that any ways). I guess there are some builds that can't get their drawing elbow behind the string.

I don't think ya see as much nose clipping from split finger. Most seems to be 3udner (but not all of em)

rusty

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have trouble with it with my old anchor height and really trying to bare down on the target. Probably unconciously trying to get closer to the string.

I'm using a newer higher anchor (which is a longer DL BTW) still shooting split finger, and have'nt touched my nose yet. I don't have a small nose and I'm pretty happy to not be ripping it apart anymore.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don't hit my nose but my string wacks my cheek at the corner of my moustashe. trims the hair and leaves a nice little red mark .

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
markd-
My nose gets stung when I tilt my head toward my drawing hand. Make sure you are keeping your head straight and draw to your anchor.

Then, again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with little round bandaids, if you can get 'em working for you. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts