Trad Talk Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you really want to be hunting ready, a month is plenty. I consider the ASL the best point-and-shoot bow for short to medium range distances (especially for instinctive aimers). Do a test: grab the bow and while drawing it point the bow hand index to the place you want to hit. Release and check how far away the arrow is after 3 shots.
PS Just be sure the index is not touching the arrow tip - it should be more of less parallel.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Yes, definitely apples and oranges no doubt. RD , heavy mass, contoured grip, it's a totally different beast. I will say, if Dave sent me an ASL I would not have sold half my ilf collection!
ASL, you usually either love them or hate them. There is usually no in between.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think they just are showing me how much work I need to do. When I do everything right it feels great and the arrow goes right where it should but I have a lot that are just total flyers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, definitely apples and oranges no doubt. RD , heavy mass, contoured grip, it's a totally different beast. I will say, if Dave sent me an ASL I would not have sold half my ilf collection!
Thank God…if you had of said “man these arrows are just droppin ing there”… I woulda been burnt, been thinking about a bow taller than I am with wood arrows… I will not be opening this thread again… thanks for the education on all things ASL

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thank God…if you had of said “man these arrows are just droppin ing there”… I woulda been burnt, been thinking about a bow taller than I am with wood arrows… I will not be opening this thread again… thanks for the education on all things ASL
Well, I think I set myself up a little thinking an asl would be super forgiving and would be an instant fit. Truth is it will take some retraining and adjustment. Draven pmed me some great pointers which have already improved the situation. ...mostly around my grip. I can see the quick pointabilty for sure, but it will take some time...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm 9 years old again gaping at D bows.
I don't have too many, but here it is the #[email protected]", 68" AMO by Jaap Kopedryer - done before he went all Yumi. This one is perfect to shoot without leather handle.
Recurves I am shooting tab 3 under, but for ASL I use glove or palm-tab split fingers.

View attachment 38174
Now there's a beauty.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well, I think I set myself up a little thinking an asl would be super forgiving and would be an instant fit. Truth is it will take some retraining and adjustment. Draven pmed me some great pointers which have already improved the situation. ...mostly around my grip. I can see the quick pointabilty for sure, but it will take some time...
You should try a Black Widow PLX takedown or an A&H ACS CX. If you want to hunt elk and like great performing longbows they would be the ticket. The A&H hands down is the fastest longbow made.

i elk hunted with a two piece Harrison. When I backpacked in I had it in a two piece sleeve and carried in my Safari Tuff quiver. The A&H ACS CX comes in one, two and 3 pieces. Don’t write off the 3 piece. The riser is very small. It also breaks down small. There is A&H for sale on AT now cheap. It has an aluminum riser though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks gil, I have owned a plx before and dont remember loving it. I was tempted by the a and h but I really like 66"+. Dave's secret longbow is awesome and we are working on a metal handle takedown version. I feel like a td would be very handy like you said. Shooting an asl is going to be a good training exercise. After reflecting on my shooting yesterday, I think it is mainly a strength issue. Dave's bow is same weight but I have about 3 more inches before I feel the wall. With the asl I think I am not expanding smoothly and maybe releasing early because the wall triggers my release prematurely. Just need to work on it. Thanks for those suggestions.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
There is an extremely cheap OL Adcock on Stickbow. I had a one piece OL Adcock that broke the sound barrier at over 200 FPS with 10 gr per pound at 28”. Some Adcock had limb problems though. This is an early one and I believe they were ok. When he got busy is when I think the limbs had issues. I was buying one from Aldo (he is on this site too) when I started to draw it the bottom limb let go and hit me in the head. $350 for a OL Adcock is an unheard of price.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
If I do it I will go with an ASL. Hard finding one in a weight I need these days. If I could shoot over 60# there were some beauts.

I have a Kayak and motorcycle to sell. When they are gone I will have some more play money.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a St. Patrick Lakes Minnesota styk on order (r/d model), read good things about them as well as his asl's. Will be selling my Maddog Follower Extreme asl as build nears. 69" [email protected] rh and ordering his pacific styk. So many bows so little time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have a St. Patrick Lakes Minnesota styk on order (r/d model), read good things about them as well as his asl's. Will be selling my Maddog Follower Extreme asl as build nears. 69" [email protected] rh and ordering his pacific styk. So many bows so little time.
I found a few Facebook groups in regard to ASL bows. I have a internet archery friend (Justin Newell) from years ago all over the sites and it looks like he has experience with St Patrick Lake longbows. I will have say hello to him. We used to do a lot with bows back then over the internet and by phone, Leo Merkert, Justin and I.

I have been communicating with Craig Ekin. I am going to pull the trigger on a new Wesley Special string follow, tillered to my draw length. Just deciding on the length (66” or 68”).

I will then try sell one of my risers. I am going to wait two more weeks to see if the desire to have one again dissipates! Ha!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Shooting morningstar better today. Was all heel position...it is a little addictive. But morningstar owner wants it back and could get a 66" tamer stringfollow or st Patrick's american styk osage with osage veneers 68. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I am going to ask Justin about the St Patrick Lake. I don’t know anything about tamer. It seems from what I have been reading a lot of guys like the St Patrick Lake. Justin is much younger than I am but he has a wealth of longbow history and experience. He was taken under Leo Merkert’s wing and Leo was a long time in the know longbow shooter. He was one of the only distributors of Harrison longbows.

Here is a link to the group. You will get a lot of info there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Don’t take it as exact science, but yew and bamboo are the best lams for ASL from what I’ve read. I’ve talked with a bowyer and he was telling me that perfect osage lams are hard to obtain and osage is better as selfbow. This is just hear-say though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This thread is making me want to own and try an ASL again, my old montana shot ok, but my recent experience with a 50# martin ML14 kind of scared me. I never knew a bow could give me a headache from just a few arrows lol! St patrick lake bows look nice

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I like Tonkin bamboo smooth and fast. Osage was fast but a little thumpiy. Yew was known to be very smooth shooting and a gentleman after the shot. I had a yew San Marco but it was thumpy. I also had a St Charles yew longbow which also kicked.

Bamboo for me all the way.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts