Trad Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I don't have too many, but here it is the #[email protected]", 68" AMO by Jap Kopedryer - done before he went all Yumi. This one is perfect to shoot without leather handle.
Recurves I am shooting tab 3 under, but for ASL I use glove or palm-tab split fingers.

View attachment 38174
That is absolutely the most gorgeous bow I have seen! I'm a longtime jaap fan

·
Registered
234 Posts
Are you guys with longer draw lengths using 70" ASL bows most bowyers offer? I don't know if anyone is making 72"+ now. I see HHA guarantees their 70" bamboo limbed models up to 32", but curious as to how enjoyable they are to shoot since I've never handled one. The mild reflex/deflex longbows I own in the 68"-69" range feel alright at 32", but make me wonder if I'd enjoy a straight limb bow only 1"-2" longer.
long draw guy here. My ASL I built with Kirk at Bigfoot bows is a 68 inch. With my 32 inch draw it’s not a issue at all. If I were to do it again I would go far lower on weight and do a dished grip. I did a 55 pound locator grip. As someone who has never shot ASL it was a bad combo. But I built it with a friend so it stays haha.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Also with a reverse handle asl it is like adding 2" of bow length according to Erik's explanation on tradlab st patricks lake longbows video on YouTube...interesting watch!

Gil. The Shelton was on Facebook. Not the one on AT
Is it still there, if so where, I would like to check it out if you are not interested.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I am liking the Tribute and the HT21. I love that Elite but I am not collecting and just hunting so if I sell the Elite may go.

Or maybe keep 3 recurves and get 3 longbows to balance out the rack!
Elites are so hard to find these days. But I really felt the ht21 did it all . It's a heavyweight with a lot of options

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Also with a reverse handle asl it is like adding 2" of bow length according to Erik's explanation on tradlab st patricks lake longbows video on YouTube...interesting watch!

Gil. The Shelton was on Facebook. Not the one on AT
I never thought I would like a reverse handle longbow, but I traded for a reverse handle Northern Mist Whisper. I liked it very much. I had it the same time I had a Shelton and liked both.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I wish someone would come up with way to measure hand shock. I personally have some doubts that string follow is helping the way people feel it is. It always seems odd to be that heavier limbs could result in less hand shock.

I suspect string follow is slightly more accurate/forgiving than back set, but I have doubts thats its better than straight and i would think reverse handle should actually make a bigger difference than anyting else. At least according to mechanics.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
In theory when the arrow leaves the string the backset limbs will react “harsher” than the string-follow limbs just because of the geometry and way the preload at brace works in the two configurations- hence more shock felt if the bow was not hold correctly. How much this difference is? I don’t know

PS If I remember right HH tried all the types and initially he was favouring the backset of 3/4” and later on he decided the string-follow was the most forgiving (at archer’s mistakes/form errors while hunting)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think forward handle is a bit of an oddity because they have a higher brace height and more reflexed feel but from s balance perspective the limbs are closer to the palm and less weight forward because of it. Could lead to more tilt back but just in a subtle way. Morningstar is here! Can't wait to get off work

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It's all about the stored energy. The unstrung bow is in state of equilibrium, it takes more energy to move the limb from backset position to strung vs.straight or stringfollow. ....but this is negated a little by the limb itself requiring thicker lams storing more energy to reach same draw weight of the stringfollow vs the backset.
I have never seen that theory explained mechanically.
The theory seems just be a vague opinion.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think forward handle is a bit of an oddity because they have a higher brace height and more reflexed feel but from s balance perspective the limbs are closer to the palm and less weight forward because of it. Could lead to more tilt back but just in a subtle way. Morningstar is here! Can't wait to get off work
Let us know how you like it!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I wish someone would come up with way to measure hand shock. I personally have some doubts that string follow is helping the way people feel it is. It always seems odd to be that heavier limbs could result in less hand shock.

I suspect string follow is slightly more accurate/forgiving than back set, but I have doubts thats its better than straight and i would think reverse handle should actually make a bigger difference than anyting else. At least according to mechanics.
I found hand shock to be subjective based on the individual. I have had some bows that felt like someone hit you in the back of the neck with a 2x4 while trying to knock out your back molars. Yet someone else liked them. I also found the reversed, that I had bows with little to no hand shock for me that would make someone else whine.

I have been shooting heavy mass Das risers. That is why I want to shoot one again before I buy. I haven’t shot one in years and may wind up being a whiner.

When I was shooting them I loved them, but times change. I went from one end of the spectrum to the other end. Going back now may not be possible.

It was nice though walking through the woods with a light one piece ASL. After hunting season closed I would hike and stump shoot with Zwickey Judo Points. Those used to be relaxing enjoyable days.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The main advantage of the reverse handle (at least conceptually) is that there is less of the working limb forward of the pivot point with the hand. - its closer to being a deflex riser.
This makes its more forgiving because less torsion can be induced into the limb.

The main disadvantage of a back set is is it puts more working limb ahead of the pivot.
Which makes a bow less forgiving because its easier to induce torsion. .

String follow might slightly be more forgiving because its it might have slightly less of the working limb forward of the pivot - but its an inefficient way to accomplish that. Forward set(which no one makes) seems like a more logical idea.

The main downside of string follow is the limbs have less tension so they have more mass for the same draw weight. It seems to me this should result in more hand shock - but Ive yet to see someone make a good controlled hand shock measure.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
First impression of Morningstar, beautiful timeless aesthetic, super duper quiet, some thump in the hand, seems quick, challenging and fun to shoot. Hate to say but
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Tool

Doesnt hold a candle to my dave lint bow

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yes, definitely apples and oranges no doubt. RD , heavy mass, contoured grip, it's a totally different beast. I will say, if Dave sent me an ASL I would not have sold half my ilf collection!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So funny, I was just going to type, my wife was right about me not being romantic. I do like shooting it, but no way can I get up to hunting with it in a month..

41 - 60 of 86 Posts