Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not buying just looking, ha.

I have had Northern Mist Sheltons and I know HHA will build me one in any of their models.

Has anyone had any other bowyers string follow longbows? If so what did you think?

Also if you had Craig at HHA build you one, which model did you choose and how did you like it?

Thanks
Gil

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Uh oh you got the same bug I did. I have been researching a lot about asl bows this last week and pulled the trigger on a jd berry northern mist. Seems to me northern mist has a great reputation for their string follow accomplishments. Shelton and their classic are highly regarded. St patricks lake longbows has a great interview on tradlab YouTube. ..but straight stave. Interesting to me that with ilf I only wanted 2 or 3 risers at a time but with longbows I want them all

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Uh oh you got the same bug I did. I have been researching a lot about asl bows this last week and pulled the trigger on a jd berry northern mist. Seems to me northern mist has a great reputation for their string follow accomplishments. Shelton and their classic are highly regarded. St patricks lake longbows has a great interview on tradlab YouTube. ..but straight stave. Interesting to me that with ilf I only wanted 2 or 3 risers at a time but with longbows I want them all
You and Zack did this to me. I shot longbows for over 45 years and had them all. I had two Sheltons and a Whisper. I also shot a friends Classic on a S.C. hog hunt. They all performed great.

I really like the way the Shelton string follow bow shot, jumps straight to the target with no hand shock.

Don’t sell Howard Hill Archery short. They are great bows, very inexpensive and very consistent between bows. When I was testing bows I had many Hill longbows at the same time. Had several different models at the same marked draw weight. They would shoot the same arrow the exact same speed.

I contacted Craig and he will make any model in string follow for me.

I just came in from shooting my Tribute and HT21. Love the way these bows shoot and feel. Before I pull the trigger on a longbow I am going to shoot a friends PLX bows. I loved the way a longbow felt, but haven’t shot one since my 2nd shoulder injury. After shooting the Das bows with some mass it may not feel as good as I remember and the desire to have one again will pass.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I went ilf because I was shooting instinctive, had target panic and wanted to lower my draw weight and shoot similar speeds for hunting. Ilf really slowed down my shot process and made my aim conscious....but it felt a little rigid and unnatural and so much weight would irritate my bow shoulder sometimes. Well it's only been a few weeks but shooting feels natural and fun again and integrating what ilf taught me is a great combo. Also it's nice with a longbow to just be happy as a hunter and get close, with ilf I felt like I wanted to gain range but that's not really what drew me to archery hunting in the beginning

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went ilf because I was shooting instinctive, had target panic and wanted to lower my draw weight and shoot similar speeds for hunting. Ilf really slowed down my shot process and made my aim conscious....but it felt a little rigid and unnatural and so much weight would irritate my bow shoulder sometimes. Well it's only been a few weeks but shooting feels natural and fun again and integrating what ilf taught me is a great combo. Also it's nice with a longbow to just be happy as a hunter and get close, with ilf I felt like I wanted to gain range but that's not really what drew me to archery hunting in the beginning
I agree with what you said except for the rigid unnatural part. I went to Das/ilf for the same reason.

I think it would be a bad move if you got back to snap shooting instinctive. I used to release as soon as I hit anchor. Bad move for me. I wasn’t bad instinctive shooting, but all my archery life I was over bowed shooting longbows.

Howard Hill bows are exceptionally made and are in your home state.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Oh no, that's not what I'm saying. I wont go instinctive again. But my form and shot sequence and gapping has improved enough that i can make a longbow work more consistently than before

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, that's not what I'm saying. I wont go instinctive again. But my form and shot sequence and gapping has improved enough that i can make a longbow work more consistently than before
Same here. I can’t go instinctive yet either, but you can grove it in to where it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think it would be a bad move if you got back to snap shooting instinctive
Perhaps worth mentioning instinctive doesn't necessarily mean snap, though that idea seems very common in the US. There are many ways to shoot instinctively, as old as the longbow itself.

You may know it already, but lot of us shoot 'gapstinctive', and hold at anchor for several seconds esp on the long shots. Just focus on the spot, let the bow arm float up, settle and release. None of the rush and stress of snap. A lot of longbow shooters in the EU shoot that way, Hughes and Bodnik among them. Seemed de facto when I was growing up - no snap shooting, and it's perfectly compatible with a clicker if you need the 'surprise release' to mitigate TP.

A fine, consistent - and most importantly fun - way to shoot, with no need to bring measuring, thinking, into your process.

·
Premium Member
21,219 Posts
Nate Steen, stay in shape, take meds and you might live long enough to do the waiting list.
They can be shot like any other bow. Locator best grip

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had Harrison, HHA, Black Widow, David Miller, Maulding Bighorn, Northern Mist, Dick Boss, Schulz, A&H, San Marco, Deathwish and probably others I can’t think of.

I wanted to try Sunset Hill but never came across one.

I think for a backseat or string follow ASL, Northern Mist and Howard Hill are hard to beat. If I decide to try a longbow again I will go with one of them in string follow. I have a long history with them. So I will probably look for a used Northern Mist Shelton or new HHA Wesley in string follow.

Thanks for the info.

When I shot longbows there were many for sale on the sites. Today I don’t see many anywhere. I think I will start looking on Tradgang. There is a big following there for ASL.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think for a backseat or string follow ASL, Northern Mist and Howard Hill are hard to beat. If I decide to try a longbow again I will go with one of them in string follow. I have a long history with them. So I will probably look for a used Northern Mist Shelton or new HHA Wesley in string follow.

Backset is more or less opposite of string follow.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of asl have backset even though they are considered straight.

Somebody just picked up a nice Shelton on AT.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am lucky my friend with the PLX longbows lives about 2 hours away, it will give time to get this out of my system. I am not going to buy until I shoot one again. I would love to shoot one again, since I am now smart enough not to over bow my self and short draw snap shoot!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts