Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recurve is relatively new and I'm new to archery. Within 3 weeks string @ top nock broke. Made new string. It's been roughly a month. Just noticed that string is, again, ready to break!

Checked nock itself and can't detect any sharp edges that would cause undue wear.

String loop on both orig and my made strings were a bit of tight fit around limb when bow is unstrung.

Suggestions??

Thanks!
Michael

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the strings are breaking in same spot it would have to be roughness. Take a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and roll it till it fits the nock, sand lightly and feel for roughness again. If it isn't that I would send bow back and have it checked.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
An explanation of the problem would help. It sounds like your end serving is wearing out. I'll take a leap and assume that is correct. I had a time when I was burning through strings in about a week. They were made by a local shop before I started making my own. I think they were using #62 serving which does not hold up well for end servings. I went to Halo and have not had a problem since. Last weekend I saw a guys bow that had burned through it top end serving. It looked like #62. I have also used 3D, which is much cheaper, with no problems. I could also not feel anything wrong with my string groove.

Reactions: Knoll

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would clean out that string groove. I use 400 grit wet or dry paper. Green scotch brite has worked well for me too.

Reactions: Knoll

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had to smooth out several tips that way. Also look at the "breakover" angle from the string to nock transition. I found my wife's was a pretty radical angle. Rounding it out so it was a gradual, sweeping curve and the problem was solved. No worn serving since.

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
I agree with the above. Check the limb tip string grooves for roughness and smooth them if necessary. Also check the end loop serving material and ensure it is durable enough. I too switched to making my own strings and use a higher grade serving material and now rarely have end loop issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.