A while back I bought a cheap bow (Black Hunter) as a backyard practice plinker. It's something that I just leave near the door with a loaded bow quiver so I can grab it and go outside any time I feel like flinging arrows for a few minutes.
The quiver in question is a no-name Selway style strap quiver that I got on Aliexpress for about $35 shipped to my door on the other side of the Earth. I'm not normally a bow quiver person but in this case it's super handy for the intended use. I am surprised at how much I like the quiver, and there isn't anything else quite like it out there except for Selways and other high end stuff that costs more than the bow I'm putting it on. I actually like it so much that I bought a second one to have on hand for my other bows. My only complaint is that it doesn't really sit on the bow quite right and it wiggles when there aren't enough arrows in it to brace it.
My solution? Bolt it down! But how? I entertained the thought of drilling and gluing riser inserts and making some sort of middle piece, but I figured that making limb bolt brackets would be easier. I took the thing apart and it turns out that the hood and arrow holder just bolt to the straps with normal M6-1.00 bolts, so I un-bolted them and started measuring and figuring. After a quick run to my local hardware store I had some 12g steel stock and extra nuts and bolts since I have such a talent for losing small parts.
First I made a pattern out of card stock, remembering to leave room for the nut behind the bracket (the post-its ended up being the same thickness as the nut so that became my spacer). When I bent it the radius ended up a little bigger than I thought it would, which gave me a little extra room behind the bracket, keeping the nut well off the bow to avoid scratches. I mocked up the hood to get it somewhat centered on the riser then made a mark though the bolt hole inside of it.
Then I cut and drilled the brackets out of 1" wide 12g stock and bent them in my vise. These measurements are not critical, I just chose 1" because it matched the limb bolt bushings, and I chose 12g because it just felt about right when I was messing with everything in the store. I put the bow side in the vise to ensure that the quiver sticks out the same amount top and bottom and runs parallel to the bow. I then used a board to push the quiver end of the bracket over to keep from curving it too much as I bent it.
Then assembled it all. It's ugly (for now) but functional.
I can say that this quiver is nice and solid now, but the downside is that it sits too low on the bow. These are 30" arrows and a 60" AMO bow in case you were wondering.
Stay tuned for Part 2 where I'll make a new upper bracket to get it sitting a bit higher. The nocks hit my foot when I string the bow.