Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my current home I don't have much room for bow storage so have been storing my bows strung in a wardrobe, a couple of which are heavy with full bow quivers, from a single 'S' shaped hook (like a meathook) hanging off the wardrobe rail (a horizontal pole). The hook sits between the limb and the string. They hang really neatly, are out of the light and stored cool. It occurs to me however (hopefully not too late), the top limb could be getting loaded with the weight of the bow, and deforming it over time. I've been doing it like this for about a year.

Any thoughts?

The bows seem to shoot well and have no visible twisting or deformation. The bows are longbows and recurves between 50lb and 60lb, and all are laminated bamboo and glass.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could still hang them like that unstrung and be sure that they are ok. My local traditional shop hangs all his bows unstrung, like that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wouldn’t think that would be an issue. I have hooks screwed into the wall where I hang my bows by the limbs.
There is not too much weight with traditional bows.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
I do it for bows I use often at home. Tip: for longer term storage you can unstring them and shove them under a bed. - lbg

Reactions: Remote

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies all!

I guess I should only be worried about my 50lb ILF, which has an alu riser and bow quiver with 6x632gn arrows - overall a heavy bow. I could take the quiver off and put it on before a shoot, but I prefer to not fiddle. Just grab and train in the yard whenever time allows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts