Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TT members, some of you have the Stolid Black Thunder riser and I have some questions. IBO TRD doesn’t allow the use of a rest/plunger/weights/stabs. Could I build up a shelf on that grip/side plate to shoot off like I have on my Best Moon? How about the shot reaction without the bare bow weight, does the BT behave? Lastly the riser doesn’t appear to have any lateral limb adjustment? Maybe one of you could post up a video shooting your BT without the BB weight?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I shoot a BT; and you 'could' build up the shelf to shoot off ... but I don't think it would be ideal and it's not something that I would ever consider. Holger (owner of Stolid Bull) might be able to better describe the dynamics you'd experience if shooting off a built up rest.

Perhaps also ask him if there is an ETA on the 21" Black Thunder Hunter riser, which I'm sure will be a shelf shot bow.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I shoot a BT; and you 'could' build up the shelf to shoot off ... but I don't think it would be ideal and it's not something that I would ever consider. Holger (owner of Stolid Bull) might be able to better describe the dynamics you'd experience if shooting off a built up rest.

Perhaps also ask him if there is an ETA on the 21" Black Thunder Hunter riser, which I'm sure will be a shelf shot bow.
Shelf shot bow, trying saying that when you're drunk Tori 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read Rustys review and noted the bow leans top Limb back 15 or 20° with the bare bow weight. I don't know how much better the balance would be with the grip removed but as of right now that's a showstopper for IBO TRD. Jon I fear if you shot this bow without any weights you would likely end up nocking yourself out with the top limb. I am very bummed out I was getting excited about this riser.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I guess all the guys in Trd class manage Kenn. I've never seen DeWayne knock himself out yet. The riser you are after may not actually exist as they were all designed to have weights or stabs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who is Dewayne? My point is Jon, my moon balances fairly well, not going to spend $800 for a bow I thought was designed to balance better.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
The BT was designed as an oly riser i think. the
BT with a 10" dish is such a nice feel. the BT with BB weights did head lean but there
Is so much weight there you can get it to move off you plam

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BT was designed as an oly riser i think. the
BT with a 10" dish is such a nice feel. the BT with BB weights did head lean but there
Is so much weight there you can get it to move off you plam
Thanks Rusty. Yeah I read where you said it balanced really well with a stab, and Jon is really liking it with a stab. Ibo TRD at least at the local level doesn't allow stabs. I watched Tori's video and the bow doesn't move at all, not sure if she is gripping it or not? For some reason I can't find your video Rusty.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a BT as well and I never shoot with a stab. I find it balances very nicely. It jumps forward and then tips back a little but very little. I have promised to try and do some videos as I am also shooting the new Uukha VX1000 limbs, which I also like very much.

I agree with Tori, Holger would be the one best to ask about building up the shelf, I have not tried and will not try that on mine. As for the weights, I do not know what IBO's rules are, do they not allow weights even when they are effectively built into the riser?

Alan

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a BT as well and I never shoot with a stab. I find it balances very nicely. It jumps forward and then tips back a little but very little. I have promised to try and do some videos as I am also shooting the new Uukha VX1000 limbs, which I also like very much.

I agree with Tori, Holger would be the one best to ask about building up the shelf, I have not tried and will not try that on mine. As for the weights, I do not know what IBO's rules are, do they not allow weights even when they are effectively built into the riser?

Alan
Thanks Alan. No IBO doesn't allow any weights even if the risers designed to except them. As for building up the shelf Holger told me to post my questions on here as he is not familiar with ibo. I also found out the Bt doesn't have lateral limb adjustment which is a turnoff for me. Stolid bull and I may cross paths in the future but as of today I decided to order a Spig 650 club.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Ken,

The Win $ Win TF Apecs is a fantastic riser, super stiff and solid. Because of the design
the balance is really good without any weights. It can even be made FITA barebow legal with some minor modifications. Search here and you will see my old one.

Rasyad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.