Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always sad when a bow is stolen, my friend Jaanus had his Blackbrook Zeta stolen from hospital car park two years ago when he took his Son for spinal surgery.

Yesterday a gut turned up at our club looking to sell the bow, the name/details had been painted over, he said he bought it off someone and wanted 250 Euros, Kats told him it was stolen from a friend and gave him 100 Euros. If it was me I would have just taken the bow back but Kats was scared he might slash her tires or something at later date and thought it best to offer some money.

Anyway a happy ending that Januus got his bow back

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Always sad when a bow is stolen, my friend Jaanus had his Blackbrook Zeta stolen from hospital car park two years ago when he took his Son for spinal surgery.

Yesterday a gut turned up at our club looking to sell the bow, the name/details had been painted over, he said he bought it off someone and wanted 250 Euros, Kats told him it was stolen from a friend and gave him 100 Euros. If it was me I would have just taken the bow back but Kats was scared he might slash her tires or something at later date and thought it best to offer some money.

Anyway a happy ending that Januus got his bow back
Yes, lucky that it happened to be Kats. Bow back where it's supposed to be. Good deal...

·
Nathan to my friends...
2,927 Posts
I have no words that can be posted on a public forum... But I think I would have gone all "Vlad" on him with the bow... if you know what I mean... Glad its a kinda happy ending though---

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Glad it worked out. If you know his name? I'd let the local guys know.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Nice to hear it's back.

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
Excellent

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Glad its home

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I hope, knowing it was stolen, that she got a receipt with his name and noted his vehicle particulars.

If the police do not take an interest I'm sure some of the local archers might.

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ain't that just like a thief? bringing the stolen bow to the same area it was stolen from and attempting to sell it! Of course perhaps this "seller" did actually buy it from the real thief... but I doubt it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I retired from police work a little over 7yrs ago. Paying the 100 was a good move on her part. The other DWS was right on the money get the auto info so you can have it followed up on later. Glad it was returned. We had two vendors that had bows stolen from the tents over night at a shoot and we are all just waiting for them to turn up and they most likely will at some point.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Glad to hear it got back to its rightful owner. Nice thing about recurves and longbows is there is a relatively small population of people who would appreciate and buy such bows, so there are limited places a crook can fence their ill-gotten spoils.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Good case study: Kat did the best thing.
Here mine:

This kind of happen to me. But it was'nt me selling I was buying not a bow but a small dirt bike for my kid. The guy told me it was'nt stolden. Because i always ask. I this case he didn't have a title. Anyway, I told him i wanted to check and asked if i could run the title and he said yes. So I did. The officier told me it was stolden right there on the phone. I told the guy I would think about it and left. I felt bad that i turned him in but felt better that I didn't get stucked with a nice motorcycle that was stolden. Just think how I would have felt if my kid would have been pulled over. They check that now.

In Kat case she did good. If I was her, She might want to let him know that he sold her a stolden bow if she see him around the range. It up to her to turn him in. Because, In my case All that happen is the police just retreived the bike, no charges were brought up. Just information was collected about were he got it. Original owner is happy he got it back.
Dan

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Yup I am glad it showed up too....I lost 500 bucks plus shipping limbs that were stolen during xmas one year....still haven't turned up anywhere. mike gave me a great deal on a new set which was real nice of him btw....just had to buy a riser. Jer

·
EastOutfitters
34 Posts
A stroke of luck to get the bow back. I'd think that a thief would take to a differnt area to try and sell it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A stroke of luck to get the bow back. I'd think that a thief would take to a differnt area to try and sell it.
Only 1.3m people in Estonia with just a few hundred Archers, with Finish, Latvian and Lithuanian and Russian Archers all told about the theft on the grapevine they didn't have much chance unless they sold it in one of the bigger countries like Germany/France, like some said, not too bright.

Andy's bows are very distinct and this one was very beautiful/unique and would have been spotted at any tourney in the Baltic area, Finland or Russia.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
You guys are the most civilized bunch I could imagine. I am going to send my DNA off to see where I ancient DNA came from. I don't think I came from the same ancestral stock you guys did. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts