Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sid,
I'm bare shafting my 50lb hex 6-H BB2 limbs and find a 300 spine carbon with 145gr field point flies perfect. However, when I shoot my 55lb limbs, even with a 250 spine and 125gr field point, I get considerable tail left orientation. I am a RH shooter. I use a bear weather rest stuck right against the riser. I would like to increase my point weight but think I will need to build out my pad which will then, negate the shelf being cut past center. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Moosehunter what arrow length are you using with the 300 spine and is it a standard insert or a heavy.

With 60" 55lbs Covert Hunter and 28.5" draw 300 spine ICS shafts 29" standard inserts tuned out with 245 grain heads if that helps. 340 spine at 28.75" standard inserts tuned out with 200 Gr heads. all shafts et up on the bow's centre. This was the bow I sent to joe for feedback.

My current bow is a 60" 53lbs at my 28.5" and I have the 340 spines with 225 grain points tuned and 5575 GT (400 spine ???) arrows at 28.5" with 145 grain points tuned.

So as said what is your bow set up? With this info perhaps I can help

Sid1

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Moose, I would build out your side plate a little at a time until you get what you are looking for. If your riser is cut 5/16" past center and you are shooting a skinny arrow your point will be pointing well inside of the string. I have mine tuned with the arrow right inline with the string.
Chris.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Border BD is 64/66" AMO; 55lb at 28"; BOP arrow length is 30 7/8", 250 spine carbon arrow shaft is .303 outside diameter; I need to see where the arrow is pointing in regards to the string as I do not know. The problem is I do not wish to shorten my arrows, as these are hunting length for me. My bow shoots where I am looking so I supposed building out the side plate will cause me to shoot left until I adjust my arrow spine and tune with point weight. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I draw 29" and am shooting standard Hex 6 h limbs on a 19" Border ILF riser. I am shooting .400 spine arrows with a 200 gr tip. I also built up the shelf with about 1/8" piece of leather and left a big gap between the that and the side plate for fletching clearance. This has helped with arrow flight greatly. I think because of having a 6 1/2" brace height.

I would think if you built out the side plate a little at a time until your arrows with the heads you want on them shot good would be what I would try first. Building out the side plate doesn't seem to affect shot placement much for me anyway.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Check your Bear weather rest. Is it getting a groove worn in it where the arrow passes?

The weather rest I checked is 0.175" thick. If your bow is anywhere close to my BD that puts the starting point of your arrow way left of center. (mine likes a 0.075" build out with a .300 dia shaft).

I'm thinking the rest works with a .300 spine & 145 gr because the arrow flexes enough to get around it but with the stiffer .250 spine & 125 gr it's too thick and the arrow is still trying to correct itself when it hits the target.. hence the tail left. Over spined shafts only work well if you are actually shooting center shot and your release is very good.

Also thinking that even though it works, your .300 spine set up is going to be real unforgiving with less than a couple hundred gr up front. Suggest you set side build out to where the tip of the shaft lines up just barely visible out side of the string and try a .400 spine shaft if you want to shoot 125gr points.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I looked at the arrow pointing direction, the tip points to the right of the string. So I am thinking I could get by with shimming out the bear weather rest perhaps a 1/16", maybe more, to get the tip pointing centrally. You wrote, " build out to where the tip of the shaft lines up just barely out side of the string..." Which side of the string? Left or right? ( I don't understand "inside or outside" )
If I understand correctly, this will allow me shoot a weaker spined arrow and or a heavier point weight which is what I am seeking. I do not want to shoot 125 gr, I'd like to shoot 175 or 200 but I can't find the shaft or the set up to let me do that.
There is a groove being worn into it; however, I'm not sure how many arrows the weather rest can endure before it shows normal wear? I am guessing it has at least 4,000 arrow passes on it.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
You want your point to be in line or just to the left of the string. This will stiffen the spine and you should be able to shoot a heavier point.

·
Registered
985 Posts
"outside" refers to away from the riser.."inside" would be toward the riser.

If your point is to the inside (right for a right hander) of the string it allows the initial flex of the shaft to go either direction which gives mixed or false positive indications and makes tuning pretty much impossible.

Set your center shot as CCH suggests for starters and check out the below link for a better explanation and easy tuning procedure.

http://archerybeds.com/resources/bare-shaft-tuning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts