Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,834 Posts
NICE DAVE
tell the story leading up to & before & after the shot?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks dave and steve
not much of a story teller only to my wife haha.
I first saw the bull about 5pm yesterday then lost site of him.
at 6 pm I saw him coming again stopped at about 25 yds from my stand. had a shot but I shoot almost 800 gr arrows so I passed the shot up too far. he began to circle my tree .[i'm in a tree stand these elk don't look up].

he crossed in back of me at 5 yds but I couldn't get turned around fast enough for the shot. then he stepped out at 10 yds my kinda shootin slight quartering away pulled through the clicker and bam off he went.
he ran a half circle about 150 yds from the shot saw his head hanging low .
then he laid down then put his head down all over.
called my son in law to get the trailer and we loaded him up.
on a side note I brought him to the butcher this morning he weighed 470 lbs with the head and neck and 1 leg still on the ground. I estimate live weight 700 plus lbs his body was huge.

dave unit 34 best public elk hunting in north America
excuse the grammer

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
That's a good bull. Gotta love it when a plan comes together and you end up with a shot like that! Were you staked out near water? I assume unit 34 is near your house? Is that unit fairly easy to draw a tag?

·
Premium Member
13,834 Posts
good shooting Dave, holding off at 25 yards paid off with the closer shot YAY.
thanks for the story line of the hunt.
That's a load of meat right there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi dave h.
I believe 10% of the tags go to n.r.
I live in unit 34 close to where the bull was shot.
hard to draw in new mexico lots of people put in quality bulls.
its a big area with only 400 total archery elk tags.
but like the lottery if you don't play you can't win
pm me if you have any interest in trying

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the boy's choir really starting to tune up. went to pull one of my tree stands . I brought my bugle in. had 3 different bulls calling . even walking out still them calling nothing like elk season

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Dave, you're a lucky man to live in elk country, but you already knew that! I hunted the Gila unit 16c in 1996 and managed to kill a 5x5, so am somewhat familiar with the difficulty of drawing tags. Gotta love hunting elk in the relatively friendly NM elevations.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks chad
glad I shot the bull the first day. been getting the monsoon rains ever since. I stay out in my backpack tent . it would have been messy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.