Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone started from scratch with bow building that can tell me what the cost is to start up? I have a shop with a decent setup with a vice and all the hand tools and power tools I could probably need. Wanting to build my own bow and trying to figure out if a setup for laminated bows is realistic or if I should just do self bows. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Most of your startup costs will be materials from bows that don't turn out or that shoot could be better or too heavy/ light .There is a learning curve but all in the cost of having fun so worthwhile. But forms and a light /heat box can be built fairly cheaply if you are willing to scrounge parts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of your startup costs will be materials from bows that don't turn out or that shoot could be better or too heavy/ light .There is a learning curve but all in the cost of having fun so worthwhile. But forms and a light /heat box can be built fairly cheaply if you are willing to scrounge parts
If you have done it would you mind me messaging you with questions!?

·
Registered
406 Posts
So has anyone started from scratch with bow building that can tell me what the cost is to start up? I have a shop with a decent setup with a vice and all the hand tools and power tools I could probably need. Wanting to build my own bow and trying to figure out if a setup for laminated bows is realistic or if I should just do self bows. Thank you for your time!
Im going to tag along on this one.
I have myself a shop Im thinking needs to be put to use.
I see pre built forms for longbows on kennysarchery and heatbox plans and the sort on binghamproject.
Ordered a books called stick and string so I can better wrap my head around the process.
Ive spent 2200 bucks on 2 laminated bows in the last 6 months and I want a crap ton more and Im poor.
Seems to me a hacksaw, rasp, files and drum sanders can get a guy by for shaping just from my lazy thread reading.

·
Premium Member
12,650 Posts
WYATT, Anton, how is this progressing?

Reactions: Matt flint

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WYATT, Anton, how is this progressing?
Sorry Steve I didn't see your comment!! I think I'm going to look into a Bingham's kit. However with lumber being so insanely priced I may put it on hold, as the price of the form and heat box plywood would cost the same as the kit! Crazy times were in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts