Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have obtained a property it's a winery. The whole cleared area is surrounded by an 8' deer fence. I have scouted the whole perimeter of the property and found only 2 possible and 1 probable funnel spots where deer would most likely jump the fence. There is Sooo much acreage around the property I have no real idea of bedding areas. In the pictures I have annotated what I found on my first and only scouting trip.
What advice might you have on putting up a treestand other than what I've found so far.
Plan B: pop-up blind inside fenced area.
I do plan on putting out cameras to try to pattern travel paths. Also I am aware of playing the wind.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

·
Registered
607 Posts
With the big woods positioned to the east of the clearing that is going to be hard to hunt as most winds around here have a west element to them. I think I would try and stay as far back as I can a few time to see if you can spot where the most deer are coming from then try and set up for the few times the wind is in your favor.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Obviously, anywhere the deer can circumvent the fence is worth studying. Hang three treestands situated at those probable/possible spots you've identified and hunt the most favorable stand depending upon that day's wind conditions. Study the topo maps for further clues.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
More scouting of course. What are the two different tree areas? That is an "edge" running roughly N&S that needs looking at. What kind of forage other than the grapes. Any white oaks or other preferred food in those woods that are an attraction. Walk it into the wind late mornings and see if you jump any bedding areas. Knowing if they bed on that property or not will help. If it's just a travel or staging place when heading to the fence, then just find the best place at the fence.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Fence pinch points can be great locations, but they can easily be ruined by over hunting them. An 8ft fence can be jumped, but it's a deferent for sure. If your hunting it right now for crop damage control, I would fix those 2 areas so the fence remains a deterent. Then stop walking around looking for sign, and hunt some of the other obvious yet not so obvious pinch points like the swamp to parking lot pinch, or transition lines where swamp meets woods, or any cover change. Once your sightings drop, and in an inclosure like this it will, then sitting these funnels with an organized "light bump" from another human can't get you a few more chances. There are countless radio collar studies that show deer in an inclosure are some of the hardest to hunt. I realize this isn't technically a deer proof fence, but again an 8ft fence will have deer running around you instead of jumping it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.