Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooooo....I put my new stabilizer on the Cobar and went out to the target butts. I shot the 30 yd bag. Every shoot was 4" low???? Thougth it must be me. went thru my procedure list carefully ..... 4" low????
took the stabilizer off ...... group centered.

Will a 28" stab with 2 of those silver weight out front cause the bow to shoot low or what is going on. group was great with the stab but it wasn't where it was without the stab???????? is it just me or does that happen?

rusty

·
recurve archer
475 Posts
Yep, anything different will cause the bow to shoot differently. Likely the tune is affected as well.

Dang, Rusty you must be shootin well to tbe able to tell the difference. :)

-mike

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Absolutely! Not only will a stabilizer cause you to group differently, but different stabilizers will cause different groups. Usually not too critical for 3D distances, but for field/hunter or FITA it makes a big difference. Totally changes the reaction of the bow in your hand, much the same way a loose grip would compared to a death grip compared to heeling the bow. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the conformation. First few shot felt great but were low. thought I had done blowed a gasket or sumpin.

I am glade I got the week off to reset my cawls. Bow sure groups well with the stablizer on it. With the stab on the bow feels sluggish and hard to swing :) still shoot an arrow quick. oh that what the stabilzier is for.....well glade we ain't rabbit hunting :thankyou:

For having shot a bow so many years I sure got a lot to learn :( who'd have thought it

rusty

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Same thing with a loaded bow quiver, it makes my hunting bows shoot a few inches to the right (I'm a lefty) take it off and right back to normal...warf

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Rusty..Na, A little olive drab paint and a bow quiver added and presto! You have turned a mega buck FITA bow into a trad police acceptable 3-D and hunting bow...lol...Ask me, I know from long personal experience how to avoid the police...warf

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob - LOL well come on down here to Texas and go hunting with me. My favorite place to "WATCH" pigs (ah ya right!) is in the fort worth city limits. Ya have to put the canoe in at the city park :). paddle down about three miles and ya'as in the Trinity River fllood plain. No house or improved property with 2 miles and more big pigs than ya can shake a stick at. Of course ya'd be hunting in the city limits of like three different towns. To get to ya they'd have to have a use a dasiy cutter bomb to make an LZ and bring in some slicks to land the police. by then ya could have 3 or 4 pigs load and be down river a couple of miles (if the daisy cutter bomb didn't get us).

We could take our pigs and canoe ot at the sewer plant. I mean how much better can hunting get :)

rusty -all theroritcally of course- Craine

PS if we could just talk a couple more guys into the trip we could take Grandma out. (Grandma is the biggest pig I have ever seen in the wild. black and white with a nasty attitude). the guys would have to be young with strong backs, couple of defense tackles would do fine :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But theroretically if you kept your expection based around your stomach, 50 to 60 pounder can be hog tied and slung over your shoulder like a purse.

and the hams will fit whole in my smoker

Theroretically speaking :)

rusty

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Bob Gordon said:
Same thing with a loaded bow quiver, it makes my hunting bows shoot a few inches to the right (I'm a lefty) take it off and right back to normal...warf
Rusty's observation could be due to the fact that weight affects grip angle (thus surprising anyone who aims with the point only). But your own comment, Bob, must mean that what the bow does between release and getting caught by the finger sling is significant, even though the timeframe for that is minimal.

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Anything that adds weight to the bow will cause the arrow to react stiff. When the shot is made, the arrow pushes against the bow. The heavier the bow, the less it gives, so the arrow reacts stiff. I wonder if the vertical drop with the long rod is due to a minute drop of the bow arm??

David

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are right David the arrow is stiff now. Still low but it is left by a fair bit. I'm working it out today.

This has been an interesting process. I've learned alot!

rusty

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
My theory with the off to the side arrows from adding a heavy, loaded bow quiver is a combination of the added mass weight the bow now has and all that added weight off the center line of the bow building in a torque condition. But with the off center quiver it is torque that is the same from shot to shot so is not a bad thing as far as torque is concerned. For me it's just a matter of moving the sight pins out a wee bit moving the group where I want it and the bow is good to go. I wonder how it affects those tree stand guys who hunt their way to the stand with the quiver on the bow and remove it once in the blind or stand? Maybe to the average bow hunter it's not a problem with those classic 17.3 yd and under shots...warf

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya know I have hunted quite a bit far and yon. I just never found a quiver on or off the bow that I liked better how it worked and how ya go to the arrows than Jack Bowers side quiver.

rusty

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the pain and fustration is worth it. Here is a 4 arrow 30 yd group after the new magnetic flipper and stabilizer was retuned. These groups are prettey easy to shoot in the back yard. I wonder how easy they will be to shoot under the stress of the match :)

rusty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.